1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I up the line out level on my HD5?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gizlaroc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I picked up an HD5 the otherday to put in the car. I had been using the Audi Nav system that uses SD cards for MP3 playback and really missed having loads of music in the car at all times, so needed to find a replacement. As I listen to a fair few mixed cds the ipod is out, and also prefer the way the HD5 is black so it doesn't shout out "Nick me!" if I leave it in the car overnight.

Loaded a load of tracks on to it yesterday, mostly 320bit MP3's as this is what I had ripped for my Audi, and had a quick listen, with the Senheisers it was far, far too quiet, so did the headphone hack and that has improved things, still not perfect but a lot better.
    However plugged it into my stereo last night to listen to a mix set I have and it was really quiet, I had changed it to line level out, but it was still really quiet. I usually listen to my music on my system between -30 and -15 depending whether I want it normal or loud, but I was down to -0 and it still wasn't really loud, and obviously there was a lot of background noise at this volume too. (Also sounds awful, but that is another matter!)

So before I order the Connects2 car kit for my car is there a way I can up the voltage on the line level as I don't think it will be any good for the car like it is?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    have you done the volume limit remover? (eu imposed, fix on this forum). Also, do you have an amp for your car to turn the volume up?

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Yeah I have done the volume limiter removal, but this now makes the volume when in headphone mode the same as the line level when set to max.
    I could really do with knowing if there is a setting in the service menu to change the line level output sensitivity?

4. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,280
    I'm using a HD1 for the same purpos enad on line out it sounds perfect. You are connecting straight to the head unit with a 3.5 to phono lead? What amp are you using? I'd suggest plugging it into a seperates system in a house, if it still doesn't sound right there is something wrong with it.

Cheers.

5. sohc

sohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the line out from the hd5 is plenty strong enough for any aux in connection. try to find out if you can change ur headunit line in vol level, it is a common feature, usually tricky to get too.

its always fun when i forget to switch my hd5 back to headphones...

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I set the unit to US rather than Euro and today although it didn't seem to be any louder through headphones when I plugged it back into the stereo tonight it now seems alright!

While it is working I am just going to leave it as it is, just wondered if anything else changes when set to US? don't loose any features or anything as far as I can see.