• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I unlock my Iphone 4???

martindean32

Standard Member
Hiya all!!!! I did have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone which I swapped for an Iphone 4 (believing it was 16GB model but found out too late it was a 8 GB one :( ) However its locked onto T mobile network and my contract is with Three. I now cannot get hold of the person who I swapped it with and Im wondering how do I get this phone unlocked??? I have asked T-mobile but they have said that only the original user of the phone can pay them to unlock it, I dunno if that is true???? Is there any other way (even if I have to Jail Break the phone) for me to unlock it????? I have read you can if you have something called SAM activation tickets but how do I find out if I have these????

Please help!!!!

Many Thanks

Martin Dean

AndyStella

If you don't know what a SAM ticket is, you don't and won't have one.

Jailbreaking is exploiting flaws in the current iOS to allow Root access to the device, put simply you can do more with it than without. The older iPhones, like the 3G and 3Gs when they are on a certain iOS version, will be on a baseband version where jailbreaking can also unlock the phone. Phones like the iPhone4, 4s and 5, jailbreaking WILL NOT UNLOCK your phone.

I am with Orange (or EE) and I was told I have to be with them for three months to unlock the phone, the best thing to do would be to buy a SIM off them, top it up, call them and say you have just bought this phone second hand and I would like to activate my SIM and put the phone in my name. They say it will take three months in case it is stolen, you could unlock it and do what you want.

You would only need to top it up once and send a text that took credit to send, to keep the phone active, when the three months are up call them, and they will unlock it for about £20-£23 and it will take up to 28 days.

So put shortly jailbreaking will not unlock your phone, you will have to do it through T-Mobile and it will cost £20-£23, take up to 28 days and you will have to have a SIM and the phone in your name for three months.

Sorry!

Andy

martindean32

Standard Member
They told me its 6 months!!!!!! However I have found out I dont need the sim in my phone!!!! They said if I know someone who has had a pay as you go sim which is more than 6 monhths old I can get them to request an unlocking code for me. I then put in as orange, vodafone sim in and it will ask me for the unclock code which T mobile said they will of sent it me via email!!!

AndyStella

No, they will not give you a code to unlock your phone, they will send your IMEI to Apple who will unlock your phone from their database and then you will have to put your SIM back in the phone, not the one that was registered to the network for 6 months, and plug it into iTunes, you should then back up, and it should pick your phone up as being unlocked, so back up your phone, and it should be unlocked.

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom