Can I take my Sky on holiday with me?

Eusebio13

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not as silly as it sounds. I'm having Sky HD fitted next week and was wondering if I could give my Sky+ box to my mother in law in R of Ireland ? What channels will she get if she has no card? Will she need a card from sky to use it as a freesat box?

And finally when I go over for two weeks holiday can I take my card from here and pair it with the box in Ireland to get my sub there for a couple of weeks?

All advice gratefully received

Yes you can give your box to whoever you like if you aren't going to use it anymore - but make sure she has a satellite dish first.
She will get the usual FTA channels without a card in it - but BBC will default to BBC London, ITV to ITV Midlands.
She only needs a Freesatfromsky card if she wants to receive the FTV, but not FTA channels - of which there are about six.
She won't be able to record on it - not without a Sky TV subscription of some kind.
You could pair your card with that box while on holiday - but Sky might get a little tired of you phoning up every year to pair them, then phoning up a fortnight later to unpair them, and re-pair your card with your HD box. Far better to not bother pairing, and still be able to watch all channels in your subscription except Sky Movies and Sky Sports.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom