Can I switch RGB video using Amp's component video switching (+ composite)?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RoughRider, Jul 9, 2004.

1. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have two RGB sources (Sky, DVD).

My amp (Yamaha A1) has component video switching for two sources, as well as S-VHS and composite. RGB looks better to me than S-VHS and I like using the switching.

As the amp also switches composite and has an extra composite "monitor out" can I route my RGB signals through the component sockets?

I would then run RGB (from the component out sockets) + Sync (from monitor out) 4 x RCA to SCART in the television and set it to receive RGB.

I am concerned because the routing hardware is designed for component i.e. Y (1vp-p/75 ohms) and Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr (0.7vp-p/75 ohms) and I don't know what an RGB signal is and don't want to damage the amp trying this out.

Cheers

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm sure you have an A1 and not an AX1 or AZ1? No component sockets on my old A1. ;)

What I'm trying at the moment is using a RGB->Component converter into an amp and then a Component->RGB converter into the TV. However you loose the WideScreen switching which is on scart pin 8 I think. :(

When changing channels between 4:3 and 16:9 stuff this is fairly annouying as you have to manually change the aspect on the TV remote all the time.

So if you're just using a TV you may be better off with remote controlled scart switch and program the remote into your main one.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes if the amp can switch the composite to the same source as the component input - and given it's an AX or AZ1, the A1 does not have component sockets as ailean already pointed out.

4. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. I am impressed you can work out what amp I own when I clearly don't know! Must be an AX1 I reckon, not new enough to have a "Z" in it. Looking forward to easy switching :)