• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I switch between 5.1 and 7.1?

kingk6

Standard Member
I'm thinking about buying an All in one speaker system for a room we have downstairs with doors out to the Garden.

What I want to do is get a 7.1 speaker set with Optical inputs so I can hook two of the speakers up outside (covered etc.) and play music from my Ps3 out into the garden. Would it be possible to turn off these 2 outside speakers (i.e. switch to 5.1) when I don't need them on? I don't imagine my neigbours want to hear me playing COD every night..

I'm sure it can be done fairly easily with separates, but i don't have the budget to buy another amp.

1. Is this possible?
2. What's the best all in one speaker set for this at the moment? (Sony BDVE370.CEK 5.1 with the extra speakers looks good?)

Thanks!
Kevin

mentm

Short answer no.

What you want is a receiver with seperate zone 2 amplification. One of the cheapest with this is the Yamaha rxv667. You still won't be able to play music from your ps3 though as zone 2 only works with analogue sources.

kingk6

Standard Member
Short answer no.

What you want is a receiver with seperate zone 2 amplification. One of the cheapest with this is the Yamaha rxv667. You still won't be able to play music from your ps3 though as zone 2 only works with analogue sources.

I guess I could just leave the 2 outside speakers disconnected from the unit, until I want the music outside. Presumably these all in one systems play music equally out of all channels? Without the sub though i guess the bass will be missing hmm..perhaps i just need to make do with leaving the door open and turning it up!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom