Can I swap over my amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tigermad, Jul 12, 2015.

1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    In my lounge I have a Denon Avr1910 connected to monitor audio bronze series speakers. Upstairs I have a Yamaha htr2866 with small speakers that were included in the pack. I have the Netflix Dolby digital plus bug that many older Denons suffer with. Is it possible to do a straight swap of the avrs. Will my bronze speakers be ok with my Yamaha amp?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    You can use the Yamaha receiver to power the Monitor Audio speakers. The receiver is no different to a conventional AV receiver and equates to one of Yamaha's entry level AV receivers.

3. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Thanks. Didn't want to blow anything up

4. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Thanks. I did the swap and all is well. I guess I am now using an inferior receiver as my main one now just to use HD sound in Netflix. I assume my yammy is nowhere near add good as my denon sound wise

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    Netflix doesn't include HD audio so you weren't getting it before. The best you'll get from Netflix is Dolby Digital plus. The only format to currently include HD surround is Blu-ray. The Yamaha HTR2866 can handle the same HD formats your AVR1910 could.

6. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Sorry my mistake. But it definitely sounds better that standard DD.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    It will be no different to standard definition Dolby Digital 5.1.

8. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Well it is and it lights up my denon HD light too.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    No the Denon doesn't indicate it is receiving HD audio in conjunction with Netflix because Netflix do not stream HD audio formats. Your Yamaha receiver can handle HD audio formats anyway so would play them if present.

10. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Well my denon amp had the blue HD light come on when watching Netflix on my ps3.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    Well Netflix do not use HD audio formats so your Denon receiver was broken or you were mistaken.

12. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    So I needed have bothered swapping them over? Even if the blue light was there or not it had the hissing bug. I'm sure DD plus sounds a lot better than DD. Playing the same film on the ps3 via Netflix sounds better than the apple TV in DD. Maybe it's just me :(

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    Both receivers are receiving DD+ in relation to Netflix. They are both as capable as one another in terms of their audio decoding capabilities. The Yamaha is receiving the exact same audio as you were getting with your Denon receiver.

Most content accessed via an Apple TV is nothing more than stereo. The ATV can passthrough Dolby Digital encoded content, but ypu have to make sure the content is actually encoded with Dolby Digital and that the ATV is actually configured correctly to output it when present. The ATV isn't configured to output DD by default and the option has to be enabled on the ATV in order for you to be able to get it when available.

Also note that different inputs on your receiver can have different settings applied to them by the receiver. The differences you hear could in theory be due to different configurations for each different source input? To rule this out as being the cause of the differences, press the STRAIGHT button on the Yamaha's remote. This will override any additional DSP processing being applied.

This sort of leads to the issue of why the DEnon may sound different. THe Yamaha may not be configured in way that would resemble the configuration associated with the DEnon? THe bass management, speaker sizes and or distances may need adjustment? Did you run the YPAO calibration? Some audio differences will always be present when dealing with kit from two different manufacturers and this is what usually differentiates one from the other.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  14. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    I think that Netflix 5.1 audio from Apple TV is standard Dolby Digital. For some reason, it doesn't do DD+ (or at least that used to be the case).

Personally, that wouldn't concern me; it's still 5.1 on titles that support 5.1.

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    I'd suspect that to be the case and believe the Apple TV has no DD+ capabilities. The ATV's DD capabilities are poor so I'd not expect the ATV to be able to passthrough DD+. The Audio will be exactly the same if dealing with content encoded as DD 5.1 which most if not all the 5.1 content is. You'd not be able to access DD+ content with Atmos metadata in the future though because you'd need DD+ to be able to do this.

Equipment with Dolby Digital Plus can unlock the full potential feature set associated with DD+, including 5.1, 7.1 and eventually Atmos metadata depending upon what the content was encoded with.

If your system includes Dolby Digital, you'll still get 5.1 channel surround sound in association with content that has multichannel audio. You only need DD+ to unlock the additional features associated with DD+ so you'd still get DD 5.1.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015