• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I swap from Sky to Freeview

T

trevshaw

I currently have Sky via a Panasonic receiver linked to my old Sony tv (crt). I'm thinking of changing to Freeview, by getting another digital receiver like maybe a Humax that can be a PVR too. My question is whether I can just connect the new receiver to the satellite dish for it to work, or will the dish need repositioning?

Also, the set up currently has a single LNB, will I need to increase to a double or quad to use a PVR, and if so do I need extra cables to go from the LNBs to .... what?

I'm new to this technology and need help so my thanks to anyone who can help.

mbell

You can whip out your Sky box and replace it with a FREESAT box, which is very similar to Freeview. Have a look at freesat - Home. Freesat signals come from the same satellite as Sky.

You can use a single cable but you won't be able to record one channel whilst recording another. In order to be able to do that, you will need a dual or quad LNB fitted to your dish and run two cables to the receiver.

ROYOLD

Freeview is digital terrestial and requires an aerial, probably outside roof mounted. Can you receive freeview terrestial? Postcode into this website for details and type of aerial required.

UK digital TV reception predictor

You can probably get freesat using the sky dish but you will need extra LNB cables for this. I don't have this but you should get details in the FREESAT FORUM:

Freesat - AVForums.com

T

trevshaw

You can whip out your Sky box and replace it with a FREESAT box, which is very similar to Freeview. Have a look at freesat - Home. Freesat signals come from the same satellite as Sky.

You can use a single cable but you won't be able to record one channel whilst recording another. In order to be able to do that, you will need a dual or quad LNB fitted to your dish and run two cables to the receiver.

Thanks very much for your speedy reply. I had seen Freesat mentioned before but didn't know what it was, but I've taken a look now, and that seems to be the option. I see that your equipment includes a Humax Foxsat, is that a Freesat receiver and would you recommend it? Or is there another you could recommend that can recording, please.

I'll have to see if I can squeeze another cable into the wall conduit for the recording - shame I've just decorated!

I plan to buy an LCD tv, probably a Samsung LE40A856, with the hope of using DLNA to view photos and music from my PC. Since the PC is in another room I was hoping to use the wireless option, can you offer any advice on this, please?

T

trevshaw

Freeview is digital terrestial and requires an aerial, probably outside roof mounted. Can you receive freeview terrestial? Postcode into this website for details and type of aerial required.

UK digital TV reception predictor

You can probably get freesat using the sky dish but you will need extra LNB cables for this. I don't have this but you should get details in the FREESAT FORUM:

Freesat - AVForums.com
Thanks for your rapid reply.

I omitted to say that I live in France, so a terrestrial aerial isn't a viable option and freesat seems the way to go. I'll have a look at the forums to see what the set up should be. I'm hoping to buy a new lcd tv (Samsung LE40A856) with an in-built receiver for French terrestrial digital broadcasts and use another receiver to pick up British broadcasts, so far Humax seems to be popular with most people.

Thanks again, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

mbell

I see that your equipment includes a Humax Foxsat, is that a Freesat receiver and would you recommend it? Or is there another you could recommend that can recording, please.

Yes, it is a Freesat receiver. It the version that contains a hard disk so that you can record programmes. I certainly can recommend it. The user interface has a couple of annoying niggles, but on the whole I like it a lot, and there's a good chance those niggles will be fixed by automatic firmware updates.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom