Can I stream AAC to my amp if it doesn't support it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    I am trying to build a NAS/DNLA solution which will handle every time of audio/video including AAC. Currently I am using my PS3, but I hope to find a streamer which will output Dolby/AAC over HDMI and am struggling.

Currently, if I have a MP4 movie with an AAC soundtrack, my Amp plays it in Stereo, because my amp doesn't support AAC.

Is there a way I can output the audio from the PS3 and get 5.1 on my Amp?

Can I simply output this as PCM to the amp? Or do I need to transcode it? The PS3 says that its AAC, but the amp doesn't recognise it.

I was up very late last night trying various things and got no-where.. So I need to start a fresh, and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions before I start again!

Jon

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Your media player will need to decode it to PCM.

DNLA is, largely, a pain in the behind and best avoided if possible.

Personally, my recommendation is OpenELEC (an XBMC distribution) running on an ION based mini PC. You won't need DNLA at all then - it'll grab the content straight off your NAS.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    Cheers. I got a bit ahead of myself writing this.. I went back to my PS3 and looked at the settings and unticked DD and DTS and just put "5.1 Channel PCM" on.. And now the amp shows PCM and i get sound from the rears for AAC sources.. SO its done.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jon

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Excellent!

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    AAC is purely a stereo format and has no capability to encode discrete multichannel formats such as 5.1. If you are getting surround sound then it isn't because the audio is encoded as such and more likely due to you applying pseudo surround DSP? AAC is strictly a stereo audio format. Dolby Digital 5.1 audio would use AC3 and not AAC and there's no problem associated with using AC3 with a PS3.

The amp says it is stereo when streaming ACC to it because ACC is nothing more than stereo and cannot be anything but stereo!

If ripping films with discrete multichannel audio then use AC3, DTS or Dolby Digital as the audio format and not formats limited to 2 channel stereo such as ACC or MP3!

6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,968
  7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    Nope, I think you'll find that to be HE-AAC and not the AAC being referred to here. Even if dealing with HE-AAC in conjunction with Freeview, the output you get via a Freeview STB will be transcoded to AC3 as opposed to being output as HE-AAC. ACC is stereo and canot carry more than 2 channels of audio. The nearest you'd get to 5.1 if using AAC is if you matrix 5.1 into the two channels permitted. If ripping a film then you cannot rip the audio and choose discrete 5.1 AAC and you'd need to select formats that actually support discrete multichannel audio. AAC is a stereo 2ch format format. Note that if playing AAC audio that has the matrixed surround channels then processing such as Dolby's Pro LOgic would need to be used in order to extract those matrixed channels. What I assume to have happened is that the OP has ripped films using ACC and the 5.1 matrix option given with most software believing it to give him discrete 5.1 AAC? There's no such format. If you want discrete 5.1 then use AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS. If you want discrete 5.1 in conjunction with AAC then you'd need to use HE-AAC. The issue with HE-AAC is that no AV receiver has the ability to decode it and no DVD or BD title uses it.

[​IMG]

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,968
    AAC or ACC?

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    AAC is not, and never has been limited to two channels. It supports 48 x 96kHz channels and 16 LFE channels.

It is perfectly capable of dealing with discrete 5.1 content, and in fact you will find that pretty much anything authored on a Mac is in this format.
    Movies in MKV containers (ahem) downloaded from the internet are often H.264 for the video and multi-channel AAC for the audio.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    If you say so. Please direct me to any instance of AAC 5.1 ever being used anywhere on any Blu-ray or DVD title. I've used Macs for over 25 years and know that everything Apple encode with AAC is in stereo. HE-AAC came along at a much later date and AAC has always been a stereo format. I think you'll find that illegal downloads do not contain multichannel AAC and are far more likely to include the audio that was actually rpresent on the discs they were ripped from. No DVD or BD title has ever included AAC 5.1! Why convert DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 to some other format not supported by AV receivers???? The only place multichannel audio is found in association with AAC is via Freeview and this uses HE-AAC that needs to be transcoded to AC3 in order for an AV receiver to be able to deal with it.

Anything authored on a Mac can be encoded with whatever audio format you want. I've personally never used AAC so unsure as to why you assume Macs only deal with AAC and nothing else?

If there's anything to be learnt grom this then it is that you shouldn't be downloading pirated films with poor audio encodings off the internet!

11. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,968
    Ah, Apple do this...
    Oh, check MPEG 2 part 7.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    So what are Apple expecting people to play back AAC 5.1 on exactly?

AAC 5.1 surround sound on AppleTV: Apple Support Communities

So you download a file from Apple encoded as AAC 5.1 and then what, sit their smug in the knowledge that it is encoded with AAC 5.1, but without ever being able to play it back as such????

13. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Where did I say that? You're making random stuff up now...

Think you'll find you're wrong there...

You already said that... And no-one disagrees... But no one said that they did either...

Saves space. Not saying it's a good idea but people do it.

Anyway, back to the point here. You stated as fact, like you normally do, that AAC is two channel only. It isn't.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    HE-AAC is capable of conveying multichannel discrete audio, unlike standard AAC. HE-AAC is what is used in conjunction with Freeview and even this has to be transcoded as Dolby Digital (AC3) to ensure compatibility with AV receivers. Just because people have started refering to HE-AAC as being 5.1 AAC is not to say that they are one and the same, in just the same way as Apple LOssless isn't the same as AAC so HE-AAC isn't either. They all rely upon totally different codecs. And to tell you the truth, they are all a pain the the backside as far as compatibility goes, hence why I do not use them despite the marginally smaller file sizes associated with them.

Best solution. Convert the audio to a format that has universal industry support and don't use something adopted by prates to reduce file size without any regard for compatibility or integrity. Better still, go buy the films and stop pirating them. ;)

15. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I'm having problems with files with AAC some are stereo, but some are 5.0 or 5.1. Playback on PC is fine, soundcard outputs as stereo, not ideal of course but at least I get audio.

Playback from sumvision cyclone won't work unless you change output from raw to lpcm which is a pain