Can I stop my TV from entering HDR (?) mode w/Netflix?? - looks like hell

thelazydogsback

Novice Member
I have a Samsung UN55JS700D TV (yeah, need to upgrade) and a Marantz SR8012 receiver, with an Amazon Fire Cube as the most common source.
Netflix seems to put the TV into what I assume must be a high-contrast HDR mode which my TV apparently cannot support well -- too dark, horrible artifacts on hair, eyes, etc. -- this makes many scenes pretty unwatchable and I just go downstairs to my trusty old 6" thick Toshiba 1080 TV from many years ago that looks great by comparison. Netflix used to only do this when playing certain titles, but now entry into the app itself seems to put things into this mode.
Not only can I not see any options on any of the 3 devices or Netflix for disabling this, but once it gets in this mode there's no reliable way to get it back out -- sometimes power-cycling does the trick, sometimes I'm stuck with it for a few days.
Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Last edited:

[email protected]

My Hisense does that as well. All you can do is change the HDMI setting on the TV to non enhanced/standard or however it's described. Still be 4k but won't auto switch to HDR on those titles (mainly Netflix own). Alternatively, use the inbuilt app and feed audio back to the receiver.

GT One

I'm not sure what devices you have but did you try watching Netflix using them, Apple TV (for example) has video / audio settings which can be selected as 50Hz 1080p SDR, which may be better for your older TV.

next010

Distinguished Member
According to the TV manual there is a HDMI UHD color setting but if there isn't then the only way I can think of to block the HDR support on the TV is via a box with a HDR toggle or an adapter which can make the TV appear to be another device.

AppleTV 4K can be manually set to 4K 60hz SDR and under match content make sure match dynamic range is disabled that will stop it shifting the TV into HDR.

The Doctor HDMI device can pretend to be other devices altering the EDID so a device detects something else, for example you could pick 4K SDR only TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom