Can I split a satelite signal ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Levi-501, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have sky installed at home in the living room.

As I am sure you are aware you can not record and watch two seperate channels.

I aquired an additional DigiBox and spliter, which takes the incoming signal from the dish and splits it between the two DigiBoxes, thus enabling me to record one channel whilst watching another.

However, when I try and watch anything all I get is a blue screen with a thing saying check satelite !

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggetions ?

I know you can modify your dish to give two output, but this is £200 whereas the splitter is £5 !

Thanx

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    u cannot do what u are trying to do so give up. To run 2 boxes u will need a dual lnb and 2 cables from the dish, a separate cable to each box. it will not cost anywhere near 200 quid. if u have a sky dish it is difficult to get a dual lnb these days as sky + REQUIRES a quad lnb and that is about £69.00. Get the quad and u are future proof.

gb--

3. BaggieBoy

BaggieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The reason you cannot split the cable is that the digibox controls the LNB. It changes the DC voltage to change polarity and it uses a 22KHz signal to change band. If you try to connect two digiboxes that will be trying to do different things with the LNB and unpredictable things will happen.

Quad LNBs are quite cheap (£40 or so), take about 10 minutes to fix. All you would need to do is run an extra length of cable from the dish.

4. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx

BaggiBoy

Have you done this ?

5. BaggieBoy

BaggieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I changed by original single LNB for a Quad and run three digiboxes without problems.

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need a Quad LNB to start with. I have an active splitter that takes the 4 outputs from this LNB and sends it to 10 outputs. In theory I could drive 5 Sky+ boxes off this. Obviously I don't (!). At the moment I've got a Sky+ box, a mirror sub and 2 FTA-card-boxes running from this setup. This Triax device I have will also take an input from UHF/VHF and I used to have cableTV running through the system also - nowadays it has Ch4 from one of my FTA digiboxes piped around the house (Ch4 isn't available on Sky in Ireland).

What you're looking to do can be done but you need to add some hardware

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Erm to run one of these dont you need a Quattro LNB not a Quad..... They are different Quad gives 4 full 4 feeds Quattro gives 4 seperate feeds that can be combined to give upto 10 outputs or more!!!! for this you require a thingy... (forgot name) soryy :blush: Its a multiswitch thingy anyway and not really relavent

9. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To avoid running additional cables you can combine two signals on one cable (assuming acble is of reasonable quality) with stacker / destacker. Not cheap around £100, but can save alot of bother when trying to rnu another cable.

Rgds Steve.