Can I simply plug Time Capsule into the ethernet port on the wall?

Eoco

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to get rid of my old router, and buy a new one. If I bought Time Capsule, could I simply run a cable from my wall ethernet socket into Time Capsule and use it as a router and backup drive without any other router/modem/gateway required?

Thanks

Unless your internet connection is presented via ethernet (pretty unlikely but not impossible), you will still need either a cablemodem or ADSL modem/router.

Steve

Well, I'm talking about in a university context, where ethernet ports are in each room. Any ideas as to whether internet is present via ethernet there?

That should work as long as you don't need to authenticate in any way.

The Time Capsule will just get a DHCP address from your university LAN and all should work.

The way to know whether it will work or not is to simply plug any random laptop in - one which has never been connected to the university LAN and has no special software on it. If you can access the internet, then the Time Capsule will be fine

Steve

I just had a look at the student information guide to ethernet and got the following quote:

"However, for Ethernet you do not require the ADSL/cable modem or router, and you will use a different lead if you connect at home via USB."

Presuming it will work then?

I'm just concerned because the Apple instructions show it going through a separate modem.

I just had a look at the student information guide to ethernet and got the following quote:

"However, for Ethernet you do not require the ADSL/cable modem or router, and you will use a different lead if you connect at home via USB."

Presuming it will work then?

I'm just concerned because the Apple instructions show it going through a separate modem.
The apple instructions would do that because it is very uncommon to have internet provided like that....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom