Can I set up the TV in one room but the PC in another?

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys, not really looked into HTPC's very much as I thought a decent AV room would encompass everything, but I'm thinking that my new AV room won't be complete without an HTPC.

My problem is that I only just built a PC around Xmas, and ideally I need to use that, it's located in an office but I'd like to connect it to the TV in the AV room - can this be done?

The PC was built primarily for CAD - Vista Ultimate x64, 4gb RAM, 512mb Radeon GFX card (I can give a full spec if required) When the home decorating is complete I intend to leave it running as a server so the wife can pic through photo's and music in the living room.

Anyway - this is really what I'd like to achieve.

1) record movies from Sky HD
2) download / rip TV series such as Lost, 24, Family Guy
3) rip DVD's (for the sake of HDD space I'll give 1080p Blu-rays a miss!)

Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

tfrangoullides

Standard Member
My problem is that I only just built a PC around Xmas, and ideally I need to use that, it's located in an office but I'd like to connect it to the TV in the AV room - can this be done?

It's possible to run Windows Media Center on a PC and us an extender in another room. However I am yet to see an extender with great picture/sound quality so I can personally recommend this.

How easy would it be to run a HDMI from the Office to the TV room? If this is easy to do and get a wireless keyboard to work through the walls it could be an option.

robbo100

I run HDMI and a USB lead through the wall and then put the USB lead into a USB hub into which I connect my wireless keyboard dongle, IR remote receiver and Webcam. The HDMI goes into the amp which goes to the TV.

Only 2 wires, and full functionality.

If you still want to use the PC as a desktop in the other room then you can use hot keys to change between 2 display profiles (one for each room), but it is not a fool proof solution and I found this to be sub-optimal and bit the bullet and bought a laptop and dedicated the desktop as a HTPC. That said, it can work, but takes some effort.

It used to confuse the wife and annoy me when she sat in the dining room moving the mouse cursing why there was no image on the monitor whilst I was shouting "leave the mouse alone, I am watching Heroes!"
:rolleyes:

Digittt

Standard Member
Apologies for a slightly waffly explanation, but it may be relevant : I have an intentionally over-spec'ed PC set up to be both the home (work) PC and the HTPC for the family. Brief details of the relevant specs:

1. Core i7 920, 6 GB's of RAm
2. GTX-295
3. Zalman HD160XT+ with touch screen case
4. Dell LCD SP2309W with build in web-cam and USB hub
5. HDMI to ethernet connectors, and a 10m active USB extension cable
6. Wireless keyboard and mouse x 2

Set-up is with the case sitting downstairs with the Zalman touchscreen as monitor 3 and the home TV as monitor 2. With the HDMI to ethernet dongles I ran CAT-6 upstairs to the monitor upstairs, along with the 10m USB cable. The monitor is set-up upstairs as the primary monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse - I work on this when I am at home. Downstairs Media Centre is set up to open on monitor 2 automatically on launch of windows - there are some desk top icons I've set-up on that screen anyway to launch anything else that may be needed. There is a second wireless keyboard / trackpad downstairs that controls the PC as well.

The only pain is at the end of a show when the wife needs to take control of the mouse to change program, otherwise I keep working upstairs while she watches downstairs, with no problem...the PC can chew through all of that, no problem.

Hope this helps.

Digittt

skull_bone

I have my HTPC sitting on a shelf in my hall cupboard, with the Sky +HD box on top of it. These are both connected to the Toshiba Regza 37XV503DB in the living room (about 8 metres away) via loft routed HDMI cables. These are run behind a plastered over false wall which has been fitted to my chimney breast, where the TV is mounted. I control the HTPC via a wireless Logitech Keyboard and mouse that the Wife gave me, the reciever for this sits beside the HTPC in the hall cupboard. Internet is passed through a Homeplug adaptor from the BT Home Hub in the living room.

I must say, i'd love to have my HTPC set up like Digittt. That's just what i'd like. Well, i'd like it to output to two seperate screens. But still, i would say yes. Stick it in a different room. Long HDMI cables can be picked up for a very reasonable cost. Plus, the fact that i can watch HD content from Sky or Blu ray, without the annoying whoosh of fans is very rewarding. It means i've got lot's more space for living in, space not taken up by big boxes. Also means my two year old son can't switch off the HTPC anymore. Lol.

skull_bone

The only pain is at the end of a show when the wife needs to take control of the mouse to change program, otherwise I keep working upstairs while she watches downstairs, with no problem...the PC can chew through all of that, no problem.

Hope this helps.

Digittt

Can't she control the PC using a Media Remote? Would that make any difference? I use a Pyramid Infrared extender to control my Sky+HD and HTPC remotely.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom