• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

can I set up 4 independant zones?, house help please

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have a friend who wants to be able to have 3 audio zones which he could control via a smartphone,

ideally he would like to have the option of airplaying audio, or listening to his sky audio via optical.

I would like the equipment to power 2 ceiling speakers in each room (2 on each zone, 6 in total).

what I am stuck on is what would do the job for me? I looked at sonos but they dont offer what I want to achieve

would a standard receiver offer this functionality?

thanks for any help

dante01

Distinguished Member
An AV receiver is less able to facilitate your requirements. You need to be looking at dedicated multiroom setups, especially if realistically wanting anything more than 2 additional zones. An AV receiver wouldn't include the required number of onboard amplifiers needed to facilitate the number of zones you arre talking about. Your original Sonos idea was closer to the mark.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply, what would be the best bet for 3 different audio zones with the option to play different audio through each?

Also instead of different audio through each zone could I just control each zone with different volumes? But the same source playing

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
Again, Sonos is your best bet or maybe a combination of an AV receiver plus Sonos? Yes, you can select the same source for different zones and have each zone at different volume levels.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Here's what I'd suggest:

Main Room Zone1: Denon AVRX3000 connected to a Sonos Connect plus a Sonus Bridge attached to your router
The AVRX3000 is probably the cheapest AV receiver you'll find that allows for not only analogue, but also S/PDIF and HDMI stereo audio sources to be output to an additional zone. It also includes a second HDMI output with HDMI matrix. You'd connect the receiver's second audio zone outputs to the Sonus Connect and this in turn will supply your other zones with audio streams.

Zone2 and 3: Sonus Connect Amps
Each Connect Amp will receiver audio from the main room or via audio accessed over a wifi network connection from the Sonos Bridge.

Both the receiver and the Sonos zones can be independently controlled via their respective iOS or Android apps over your home network. The receiver can also be controlled via a web browser running on a PC or Mac computer.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, but it would ultimately depend upon which audio sources and how you are accessing them. The SKY example you initially mentioned can be connected to the AV receiver in the main room as you would connect any other video device to an AV receiver, via HDMI for example. You'd obviously pass the video through the receiver to a TV or other method of display while the receiver deals with the audio and outputs it to the speakers it power in the main room. You can simultaneously output this audio (if stereo) to the second zone pre outs which are in turn connected to the Sonus Connect. The Sonus Connect will allow you to stream this audio to other Sonos devices and zones. The receiver can also play one source in the main room while also simultaneously outputting the audio accessed via another input to the second zone pre outs. You can for example watch and listen to a Blu-ray in the main room while still streaming the SKY box audio to the additional zones. The Sonos Connect Amps can also access other networked audio such as net radio, spotify or audio files stored on a NAS independent of the AV receiver and each can play different sources simultaneously. You can effectively have a different source in each and every zone, each with its own independent volume controlled via the same tablet or smart phone.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom