Can I run 2 networks over powerlines?

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have Virgin cable and BT broadband. The cable has much more bandwidth and is the main network I use.

My eldest has a ps4 and laptop in his room and is now constantly uploading videos from ps4 games and via laptop to YouTube and using his iPhone too (wireless). Ps4 is connected to Virgin via powerlines adapted and the others via wifi.

The upload is very small on both networks and when he does this it slows everything down and interferes with me if I am playing an online game etc.

I have thought about getting a more expensive router and using some tools to device limit the bandwidth, but hoped I could use powerlines somehow.

I use powerlines all over the house, but only for Virgin. I would like to plug his ps4 into the BT router via powerlines, can I have 2 networks on the same home mains rings? If so how do I do it?

Thanks

Most homeplugs support a system of creating a secure network between two or more units. You should be able to create two such secure networks with different sets of homeplugs.

Bear in mind however, that both networks will be using the same transmission medium (your mains) and so if you have bandwidth issues you may find that doing this doesn't help (i.e. data going over the PS4-BT Router network will still impact data going over the powerlines to the Virgin router.

@cjed - thanks for the reply. Since posting I did find that this could be done by "pairing" two powerlines. Do I have to create 2 such "pairings" or can I just pair the two I want him to use. The reason I ask is I have about 3 or more models of powerline adaptor at different Mbps ratings so that could be messy.

Also great point about the shared infrastructure they are using - maybe it is the load on that that caused me lagging out...... I have my PS4 connected using a wifi extender that works over the powerline adaptor (don't ask why - long story) - I assume that wifi is still sending traffic over the mains, so that could well be reason for the impact.

I may have to see if connecting him via wifi works....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom