Can i run 2 centre speakers off my amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Docta teef, May 19, 2004.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I was wondering if it would be practicle to run a second speaker form my amp to have 1 speaker under the screen and one above it. My amp is a sony 333es the speakers im thinking are a couple of mordaunt shorts one 500 series and one 900 series but not sure if it would work or if it would be worth the trouble :confused:

2. mrcolorado

mrcolorado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could run 2 centers if you had a powered amp center, then you can connect out of the preamp outputs. and then use the normal posts to your center speaker as well.. so it is possible. however the vocals may arrive at different times if the cable and the speaker wire connected to the speaker output posts are different lengths. I think one center channel is good enough however many systems have room for a center rear surround speaker! between your rear speakers. I have that for 6.1 movies and thx surround out of my marantz a/v receiver. so the second center works really good back there for six.one. :)

3. Nonchalant

Nonchalant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from an engineering standpoint consider this:
    the amp can provide only so much power on a single line. with this line that means a certain amount of max current can be drawn. now if you hooked up your speakers in parallel on the line, you will halve the resistance of the speaker coils, drawing twice as much current and potentially burning out the amp. If you hooked up 2 speakers in series, you end up doubling the resistance of the coils the amps sees which halves the drawn current. the lesser the amount of current drawn, the weaker your speakers will sound. so it is a bad idea to use 2 speakers on the single channel if just one speaker is already operating at the rated rms values of the amp's channel.