Can I return my TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dan110, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my Philips 36'' 9607 for 5 days and I'm generally not impressed with the quality of the image. Halo around things, bad geometry, artificial looking in pixel plus and gold fish bowl effect. Bought instore from a major electrical superstore which I won't name on interest free credit. What rights have I got? Can I ask for an alternative product/refund as I've had the TV less than 7 days? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it is clearly unsatisfacory to the eyes of anyone else including any engineer the shop may decide to send round to check then I should say you have every right to reject the set. On the other hand if their engineer says it is a good picture you may have to get an independant assessment from another engineer(which will cost) to state what if anything they feel is wrong. This may be needed should you go to small claims court or other body.

You really need to put in writing what is wrong and send the letter registered post ASAP. State what you want in the letter. If they replace it or refund you that is fine, if not then you may need to take the action above but send a further letter advising of your intention to get a 2nd opinion to check it is OK with them. You could suggest a couple of qualified people who deal with the type of set you have. eg a Sony set would be best seen by a Sony qualified engineer. You need to appear to give the retailer a fair chance to rectify the problem. (I do not mean repair the set but replace it or give you a refund)

The sale of goods act is on your side if the set is definitely faulty and you are easily allowed a few days to discover any fault such as this for sure. Also by buying on credit, the credit company is jointly liable but that is something to look into if you encounter problems with the retailer.

Hope this helps

Dave

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the things you have described could be to do with the way the TV is set up. Other things, such as the two I've listed above, may be able to be tweaked in the service menu by an engineer (or yourself, if you're up to it). But if the geometry is really bad, I doubt a tweak will be able to make it much better. If this is the case, then the above two things alone should be enough to warrant a "faulty product" enabling you to get a refund or exchange (at your option, according to the Sale of Goods Act).

However, if you start talking about "well, I want to exchange because I'm not happy", then you're not telling them that the product is faulty and they'll just tell you "this ain't Argos" and you won't get anywhere (unless of course, you did buy it from Argos, in which case, problem solved :p).

If it's a major electrical chain, you shouldn't have any problems. I have returned two sets for bad geometry which engineer's (and my) service menu twiddling couldn't fix. The gold fish bowl effect was present on one of these TVs as well.

No need to go down the formal route yet. Just follow the instructions given with your warranty. Usually, so long as you sort this within 28 days, you won't have a problem, but check the time limit on your warranty to make sure.

4. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar position to you Dan - not sure what to do. I've got an engineer coming round next week - I've got a very tiny dent on the side of my TV and a few little scratches at the back. Also on the picture there are a couple of vertical bars on the screen which are only noticable when the screen is all one colour. ALso got a problem of players shirt colours(when watching footy) bleedig into the pitch. - I don't think this should happen but we'll see I hope I can convince the engineer.

I've never had one round before - can they be awkward??

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, this is enough to reject the set outright if these were there on delivery.

Sounds like you've got a Panasonic or a Toshiba, or a Philips with a Panasonic tube. If so, it's normal and does dissapear over time. Search for "dirty screen" or "dirty tube" and the manufacturer of your TV on the forum and you'll find lots of threads.

My experience has only been with engineers from the Dixons group (Currys in my case) and engineers from Comet, who have always been very agreeable, so if you bought your set from one of these guys, I shouldn't worry. Just be sure to point out all the flaws to them, be careful of any recommendations, and keep mentioning your reasons why you bought the set. For example, when I complained about the dark RGB picture on the JVC TV I had bought, one engineer mentioned that I should use the composite input instead of RGB on this particular set. I didn't have the heart to tell him that if he was gonna recommend anything else, he should be recommending S-Video :rolleyes:, but before he went any further I did tell him that I bought the TV particularly for watching DVDs via RGB, so the TV was useless to me if the RGB picture was flawed. He therefore signed the necessary forms immediately :)

6. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Squirrel God

I'm really worried - I know I shouldn't be but I'm just worried that he might say theres nothing wrong!

The marks were defn on delivery I even showed the guy and when I phoned up customer service they agreed to an exchange/refund - however the store want an engineer to come round.

I mainly bought the TV to watch football on but it hurts my eyes when watching it. I can't stand it and theres even some ghosting present.

can you bribe the engineer?? with a drink or anything??

arrrggggghhhhh!!

How come everything in life is not simple!

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You did absolutely the right thing. They have already agreed so what are you worried about? The engineer is just coming round to check that the dent and scratches are really there, plus to confirm the other faults. They always send round an engineer to verify what you tell them. Don't worry - it's standard procedure :)

I always offer visitors a cup of tea or coffee, whoever they are, but especially when I want something from them ;) :D Be friendly and take your time, let him do his job, don't rush him. It'll be cool, relax :cool: :D

If you don't want the same TV in exchange, be sure to say that. If you feel panicky, then sometimes it can be simpler all round to just get a refund on your current TV (which you are entitled to as it is damaged/faulty), and order a new TV afresh when you get your dosh back. The big high street chains certainly get less confused that way :D

8. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate!!

You've eased my mind - although the dent on the TV is really really small - but my thinking is when you pay 2 grand for a TV then you would expect everything to be perfect!

Its an RPTV it can't seem to handle fast moving objects like sport or when people are running in soaps - is this classed as a fault though??(just thinking whether I should bring it up or not)

Thanks again - you've been a great help