1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i repair my tweeters?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doug62, Oct 7, 2004.

1. doug62

doug62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i recently purchased some B&W p5's from an ebay auction which i needed to pick up some 100 miles away.It wasnt till i got them home that i actually noticed that the plastic domes which cover the tweeter(sorry i'm not very knowledgable on such things so dont know what its called)are pushed in over and cracked.One of them actually has a hole in it .Ive listened to them and they dont sound too bad but then i'm not sure how they should really sound.
    So i was hoping someone could tell me how much of a difference these plastic domes make and wether or not i can repair them or do they need replacing.

Thanx

Doug

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You can remove the dent but the whole may effect the sound.

To remove the dent either use some sticky tape (make it less sticky first by using it on your hand or something), use a hoover on a very very low setting or suck on it yourself, preferably through a plastic tube of some sort.

Otherwise try emailing B&W directly, they keep a stock of old speakers and it shouldn't cost more than about £30 to buy and new one and they are really easy to fit.

Where are you based? I up in the Newcastle area so if you are local I can replace the tweeter for you if you order a new one

Andrew

3. doug62

doug62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow,cheers andrew,thats incredibly cool of you!I'm actually in hartlepool so if i get stuck then i'll give you a shout.Ive e-mailed B&W so hopefully they'll be able to help me out.

thx again mate :thumbsup:

Doug

4. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    No problem, they should have a tweeter and give you instructions, most speaker companies are very helpful

Andrew