Can I remove Vista "for Now" and put back on in the futrure with no software discs ?

newstuart

I have just bought a new laptop with Vista Premium on, to be honest I prefer XP MCE and can use all of my software with it. Could i install XP MCE on the laptop for now and possibly revert to Vista in the future after the bugs have been ironed out ?

The main problem I have is that I do not have any backup discs with it as PC world supply the back up on a hardrive partition. I have the liscence key etc but no physical discs to re-load vista at a later date.

Any ideas most welcome ?

phildh

Standard Member
As long as you keep your restore partition in one piece, I would think so.

Make sure you can access the rescue partition without going through some wierd windows program first, but you should be able to do whatever you want with the main partition.

Then when you want to, just use the restore partition to go back to Vista.

fortean

You may also have an option to make restore CD's or DVD's. If you can then restoring Vista will not be a problem at a later date. Read the documentation though to be sure you crate all the discs you need. Sometimes the restore for the OS and any free applications are created on different discs.

newstuart

It looks like there is the option to create a restore disc which I will run through now.

My main issue is I simply do not particulally like Vista, I cant really put my finger on it but it just seems to take longer to use and I get asked for permission to do everything.

If I can make a restore disc I assume I would just load XP MCE from boot as normal and delete the partition with Vista on it ?

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
You can turn the UAC off, it's a good idea, but poorly excuted by Microsoft.
Vista takes a bit of getting used to, i think my main problem with it are the layout changes. But once you get used to all that, vista is OK.
I'd make sure the restore disc works before you go deleting partitions.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
People said exactly the same thing when moving from Win 98 to Win XP, have you REALLY given Vista enough time?
I have built a Vista PC for my brother and found it to be very good, yes there seems to be some oddities, but thats life and something we all get used to.
Now if it was some program giving grief then I would understand.

Cable Monkey

I did the opposite and took XP off my laptop to test Vista's Beta variants. I created the restore disks and then scrubbed the disk. I then installed Vista and played with it for several months before reverting back to XP. It was simple and straightforward and didn't even ask me to register/verify my XP install.

shaithis

I would use something like Acronis TrueImage / Symantec Ghost etc to make an image of your drive to store somewhere......Makes it really easy to go back later.

I would stick with Vista though, it is a better OS, you just need to configure and adjust to it, like any other thing.

newstuart

Hi thanks for all your comments, I have been thinking and reckon I will give Vista a few more weeks to see if I get used to it, I tend to agree with whats been said about much the same was said with Win 98 and XP.

What I would like to disable is the infuriating thing that asks for permission everytime i start a program - Can anyone tell me if this can be done ?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
What I would like to disable is the infuriating thing that asks for permission everytime i start a program - Can anyone tell me if this can be done ?
A common misconception: it doesn't ask permission for every program, only for actions which (potentially) make changes to the system. It's there for your safety! Think of it like the seatbelt in your car.

If you must turn it off, there is an option under User Accounts. But don't! ;)

bradavon78

The main problem I have is that I do not have any backup discs with it as PC world supply the back up on a hardrive partition. I have the liscence key etc but no physical discs to re-load vista at a later date.
If it's anything like a Sony Vaio you're expected to create them from software that basically copies the contents of the restore partition to DVD.

At least I hope that's the case. To have no way to create discs (what if your entire hard drive gets wiped?) is absurd. I'd even send a PC back if that was the case, it's just to much risk.

If I can make a restore disc I assume I would just load XP MCE from boot as normal and delete the partition with Vista on it ?
Yes. It will wipe the entire drive but yes that's correct.

treacle

I did the opposite and took XP off my laptop to test Vista's Beta variants. I created the restore disks and then scrubbed the disk. I then installed Vista and played with it for several months before reverting back to XP. It was simple and straightforward and didn't even ask me to register/verify my XP install.

XP was easy that way, if I remember right, even the OEM of XP Pro, you were allowed 10 reactivations.

Whether that will be allowed in Vista is anybody's guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom