Can I remove Kinect from XB1?

darklight

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just caved in and bought the XB1 due to low price of £350 and was wondering if I can disconnect the Kinect as I don't plan to use it in games or for facial recon?

Just caved in and bought the XB1 due to low price of £350 and was wondering if I can disconnect the Kinect as I don't plan to use it in games or for facial recon?

My daughter often steals my XB1 and takes it to her bedroom (Kinect left in Lounge) and it works fine without it being attached....

I've had my Xbox One since the Titanfall launch and I have yet to even unpack Kinect.
The X1 works perfectly fine without it.

Once you get used to using the voice commands it is actually very useful and dare I say more next gen. If nothing else I think you need it connected, at least at first, for the Game DVR to setup/work.

Kinect is an utter piece of shit!
I just tried setting it up and it couldn't find my floor, yet kept telling me to tilt the sensor UP.
Gestures do not work at all.
I thought it was supposed to be better and need less space?
I sit about 7 feet away from my TV, and even when I moved my chair out of the way, it still had serious issues detecting the floor and my movements.
Most of the time the little hand icon didn't appear, even though I was waving my arms around like some loon just out of the nut house.

Now, I don't know if you're meant to have the controller to help set it up, as mine was sent away for a replacement, but I had serious problems trying to get it to work properly.
The sensor was on a mount on top of my TV, 4' 2.5" off the ground.
I was sitting, and then standing more than 6' away from my TV while trying to set it up.
The room is fairly well lit. Not blinding 1,000,000 watt bulbs, but not gloomy dark either.
The camera picked me up as the picture was clear enough to see me.
I had the curtains open and it is day time, so there's plenty of light.
Yet it still struggled to set up correctly.

I'm not overly fussed about using it.
All I was going to use it for was Xbox Fitness and the DVR.
I can't be bothered with the overblown webcam and it's back in the box where it will stay.

Mine can't see the floor and works fine, I sit about 5-6ft away.

Kinect is an utter piece of poop!
I just tried setting it up and it couldn't find my floor, yet kept telling me to tilt the sensor UP.
Gestures do not work at all.
I thought it was supposed to be better and need less space?
I sit about 7 feet away from my TV, and even when I moved my chair out of the way, it still had serious issues detecting the floor and my movements.
Most of the time the little hand icon didn't appear, even though I was waving my arms around like some loon just out of the nut house.

Now, I don't know if you're meant to have the controller to help set it up, as mine was sent away for a replacement, but I had serious problems trying to get it to work properly.
The sensor was on a mount on top of my TV, 4' 2.5" off the ground.
I was sitting, and then standing more than 6' away from my TV while trying to set it up.
The room is fairly well lit. Not blinding 1,000,000 watt bulbs, but not gloomy dark either.
The camera picked me up as the picture was clear enough to see me.
I had the curtains open and it is day time, so there's plenty of light.
Yet it still struggled to set up correctly.

I'm not overly fussed about using it.
All I was going to use it for was Xbox Fitness and the DVR.
I can't be bothered with the overblown webcam and it's back in the box where it will stay.

1) When setting kinect up only go as far as the bit where it detects your floor. Once it has done that bit exit. The tilt up bit doesn't work in smaller spaces and there is no need for it.

2) To register your hand all you need do is hold it out in front of you, don't wave it around, the kinect wants to see a partially extended still hand.

I have a similar space scenario to yours and it works perfectly. AND my kinect is below the TV as I can't mount it yet. So yours should be even better if you follow the above steps.

I might give it another go.
It seems like a lot of hassle to get it working, though.

I seem to have my Kinect working now.
Although for some reason when I was watching The Walking Dead blu-ray last night, the subtitles were on and there doesn't seem to be a voice command to turn them off, as I'm currently without a controller until Microsoft send me a replacement.

The voice commands are very limited when watching BDs, even the Media Remote doesn't work very well as there is no button to access the menus.

Also - add my penny's worth after using my X1 for 5 months - when you do the Kinect setup make sure the volume is set as high as possible (it'll tell you if it is too loud). For me it made a big difference on how well the X1 understands voice commands. Reckon I'm at about 90% success rate now....does appear to get better after each update.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom