Can i remotely use my HTPC in another room?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by bongo123, Sep 18, 2007.

1. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'll try explaining myself a bit better, i want to build a HTPC and set it under my nice new tv but the thing is i also need another PC to use for work soooo i was wondering can i have my HTPC under my TV in the lounge and in another room have a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup that somehow uses the HTPC so i dont need to purchase another PC, thanks

2. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    there are alot of ways of doing this. Depends on what OS you plan to use.

If you use Windoes Media Center then you will need to use a 3rd party app like VNC to remote control it.

Proibably the easiest way would be to use XP Professional and run a terminal services session from the other room which runs a second session on the pc for you that doesnt show on the HTPC so someone else could be be doing their thing in the front room if need be and its simple to setup.

3. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thanks for the response, i was intending to put vista on the HTPC and make it fairly powerful, powerful enough hopefully so that the missus can watch TV on it while i use it for Autocad in another room. Now the thing is is there some sort of unit that i can buy that wirelessly connects to the HTPC in the lounge while enabling me to plug in a keyboard/mouse and monitor in the bedroom? is this at all possible?

4. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Spot the deliberate mistake, Bongo said he didn't want to buy another PC, your explaining to him how to control his HTPC using VNC on...Another PC :)

So, this "low powered wireless device" we're talking about is a cheap laptop running VNC. Of course, this will work and he can run his AUTOCAD in the background on the HTPC but I'd guess that would draw pretty heavily on the CPU and perhaps cause problems with playback if it's being used at the same time. The best HTPCs are the ones dedicated to the job, this sounds like a recipe for wife related grief when her programme is interrupted and he spends 3 hours fiddling with the HTPC..

Since there's no easy way around having 2 PCs, the OP might as well build a lower spec HTPC and use the money saved to buys a better 2nd PC for the autocad work ?

Could buy 2 of these for £300 each, one for the HTPC and one the Autocad work:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/44162/dell-vostro-slim-200st-base-unit-co

5. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    sorry your right im being an idiot.....please ignore me its still early in my book....:rotfl:

6. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    So basically I'm gonna need to buy 2 machines.. damn, would've preferred 1 uber spec'd machine as apposed to 2, I'm not so worried about her watching anything on the HTPC while I'm working on it and it stuttering, she has plenty of other things to keep her occupied, cable, xbox360, wii, her laptop. would just like to spend the money on a great HTPC and a nice monitor for my work.

7. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    if you did have 2 pcs running a terminal session on xp pro would be a very good way to go the pc you are using to control it with needs to be very basic even an old pentium 2 would work

8. Ruudfood

Ruudfood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    How were you planning to get the display to show what was running on the PC? Did you just want a long cable for keyboard, mouse and video?

If not, then the only real way of accomplishing this is to use some sort of device that has (wireless) networking capability. It doesn't have to be high-spec. You could use an old £50 laptop from ebay or something.

I think you'd also need some sort of virtual desktop software running on the HTPC in order for it to display 1 thing to you and something different to your missus. (What's she doing out of the kitchen anyway? ;))

9. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    A usb extension and a decent wireless keyboard and mouse. :)