1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I recyclye my stereo speakers for surround?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by brummer, Aug 3, 2005.

1. brummer

brummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a newbie so go easy on the Jargon please. I am about to install a projector/screen and surround sound in my living room. I currently have a pair of Celestion Ditton II speakers which I purchased 14 years ago as part of my component system. I would love to re-use them as part of a surround system for the home theatre as well. It would save me a fair whack if I only need to buy Centre/ Sub and Rears.

Will this work? Would I need to find new speakers that matched my existing spekers in some way and if so can you check the specs before purchasing to see if it matches?

As background, my "home theatre has" to fit a budget and my wife's approval re "ugly black boxes" around the lounge room. Because it's not a dedicated room and needs to be relatively unobtrusive (ie small or ceiling mounted rears) I am happy to sacrafice some sound quality as long as I get the surround feeling. In other words I'm not a serious audiophile who can pick if their left speaker is 1cm off centre just by listening but I don't want to spend $6000 - $8000 Aussie Dollars (thats about 20 quid on current exchange rates ;) ) and have crap sound.

thanks for any feedback. PM's welcome also

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Brummer,

Yes you can use your existing speakers. In terms of matching them, you will not be able to get the info of the spec. The idea of matching is to have tonally matching speakers so that as the sound pans across the screen, the sound is similar from each of the 3 speakers.

I am not familiar with the Celestion speaker, so want offer a suggestion to what would match best. Must of us take the easy option and get a centre from the same range (or at least the same manufacturer) to solve this issue, but that does not imply that other brands would not work.

My own opinion is that rear speakers are less important in this regard (unless multi channel music is important).

Another option for you is to get an AV amp that will allow you to run a phantom centre. ie you do away the centre speaker and the amp will send the info to both the left and right front speakers. It does work surprisingly well.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

3. brummer

brummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry, I will e-mail Celestion and see if they can suggest a suitable centre speaker to go with my museum pieces. If not I guess I just have to wear the cost of new fronts as well.

cheers,

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the closest you're going to get is the Celestion Centre2- this was one of their earliest centre speakers and a damn sight better than the CSC of the same period. It uses the same paper material for the woofers and uses the same sort of plastic dome tweeter (The Dittons iirc used plastic domes but yours MIGHT be a titanium dome-check to see if its silver and metal)

5. brummer

brummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rory. A tried to contact Celestion by e-mail but it bounced back to me. I think there is a distributor listed in Sydney in Aus so I could try them for info otherwise not sure where I'd get hold of that speaker.

One more probably stupid question - does the Sub need to match in anyway to the other speakers or can you mix across brands quite easily between the fronts/rears and your sub.

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    try and keep the same brand and cone materials across all speakesr, but especially the front three.

You want to keep effects quite seamless when they circulate the rom. Subwoofers can be any brand, but theres a GORGEOUS Celestion A6 sub £210BIN on Ebay. Cracking sub :)

I last saw Centre2s at hyperfi- they seem to deal with a lot of old Kef/Celestion stock.

I'm guessing you're off zerogain- whats your handle there?

7. brummer

brummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rozzar, I won't even pretend that I understand your last comment above about "zerogain" and what my handle is there. Is that another web site of some sort? Hang on I'll google it. Ah another Hi fi/music forum. No, didn't know about that one - I'll check it our now.

I'm actually in the back waters of Australia (Tasmania) so unfortunately I won't be ducking down to hyperfi etc. The info you have provided is exttremely usefull none the less. Thanks to all who have offered advice.

Brummer

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I set up a pair of on loan Proac Response 2.5 speakers as fronts yesterday evening. As an experiment I also set up my old front speakers, the Proac Response 1.5 floorstanders as rears and I have to say I was amazed at the panning as the sound moved from left to right and front to back (including left to right on just the back speakers). The sound they produced as a cohesive unit was so much better than I ever thought was possible in home cinema (I always thought people talking about effective front to back panning was just a mith). Therefore I would highly recommend using the same type or make of speakers from front to back as the difference on mine between the Proac's and my previous Gallos was simply amazing.

9. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brummer, I have a mismatch of speakers as a result of moving from Stereo up to Budget AV. I am now upgrading again as the sound doesn't match at all. I have Quad 11's up front and the rest have been PSB alphas. The centre has been muffled and disjointed compared to the fronts.

I recently tested a wharfedale centre as they are built by the same company. This gave much better results and I'm now going for the Quad Centre. The dialogue is clearer but the overall front sound is sooo much better and as Tony mentioned much more cohesive. I am not an av audophile so wont be changing the backs but would guess this would make a differece again.

We also have this in the lounge with TV for day viewing and a PJ for film use. the only advice I can offer is allow the budget for an 'integrated' front 3, I didn't and it was a bad move and a false economy. Still I enjoy enjoying buying more kit though :).

10. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the reason i asked is that you referred to me by my real name and the only forum I use that on is Zerogain.

Yes, sorry...Hyperfi is a hifi shop in England. Its synonymous with having no stock of anything you want so is fairly infamous :D

11. brummer

brummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like increasingly popular advice which I will take.I have decided to retire the Ditton's and go with matching front 3. Just need to decide what now. One place is stearing towards B&W but they are expensive over here (don't know about in UK). Today's homework is checking out Wharfedale to see if they are worth listening to. I'll scour the forum for reveiws and opinions.

thanks again to all those who contributed to me queery. Much appreciated.

ROZZAR I have no idea how I figured out your actual name. I can only suggest that it originally came up somewhere on your first message (not there now) or I fluked it.

12. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It would be very un-Australian of me, if I at least didn’t point out that we do make some very good speakers ourselves.

Legend, Krix, Orpheus, SubSonic & Sonique to name just a few. You will not find any reviews on the International press, but they would be worthy of organising a listen.