Can I record from my V+box SCART to digital archive...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Dave163, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ....with my current equipment?

I know the question's been asked often of can you record off a V+ box and the answer I think is, yes, through SCART out with a DVD recorder.

But I don't have a DVD recorder and don't want to spend lots of money on one if I don't need to (is there such a thing as a cheap DVD recorder?).

I do however have a laptop with a DVD burner.

And I also have a digital camcorder that has AV in (apparently quite rare for camcorders).

Is there any way of connecting V+box SCART to laptop (either firewire or USB) port and recording digitally onto the laptop, and then archiving onto DVD or harddrive? Note that I don't have a TV card on my laptop, is that required or is there any other way of doing it without buying an external laptop TV tuner or taking the laptop to pieces?

Alternatively, can I connect my camcorder to the V+box then run the tape through the laptop?

I assume in the case of the camcorder I'd be recording only low-quality composite video - if I set the V+box output to RGB rather than composite, would the quality of recording onto laptop (if feasible) or camcorder improve, or would it not work?

Thanks!

2. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The only way I can see is yes use your camcorder AV - in. Using appropriate adaptor record fom VCR scart of V+. Then replay recording via firewire to PC.

Edit Please be aware that one DV tape is only 90 min max.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. PaulBox

PaulBox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    To be honest mate, you can pick up a DVD recorder for about £50 on sites like Amazon, that's probably your best bet for convenience/quality etc.

4. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Agreed. An external video capture card is also an option, but at this sort of price they'll only capture in composite (Component capture, etc will probably cost more).

5. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the suggestions....I looked on Ebay but all the cheap ie sub-£50 DVD recorders were being sold as broken.

If I go down the route of using existing equipment ie my mini-DV camcorder (Canon MVX645i), without trying it, do you have any clue whether it will record RGB off the Vbox or just composite?