1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I record from camcorder input?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Alan842, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Alan842

Alan842

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question about camcorder inputs.

I use a camcorder for videoing/coaching the sport of rowing.
    I have just bought a tiny wireless 'spy' camera which I would like to attach to the boat.
    It transmits to an AV Receiver which has a 'Video Out' red plughole (is this called 'composite video'?).
    I obviously cannot have a mains VHS player on the river, so it's got to be a laptop or camcorder.
    Is there a camcorder with a 'signal in' plug to match - the gadget came with a red male-male lead.
    Do camcorders record from input leads?
    Any help appreciated.

'Woody' Alan Sherman coaching in London, UK

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First I'm very surprised about the red plug on the AV receiver for video out, the standard colour for composite video plugs is yellow.

If it is a composite video out then you should be able to connect it to any camcorder having AV-in (note this is not the same as DV-in) - - Camcorders having AV-in are quite common but not all camcorders have this function.

Check your camcorders specification if it says you have AV-in then a cable with a phono (RCA) connector on each end should do the trick, check also which buttons you have to press on the camcorder to record AV. but note that video in on your camcorder will be yellow. red and white are for audio.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yep, agree with Beejaycee. Many but not all camcorders can do as you want. Many more will have DV-in only so you will need to check the specs of any cam very closely to check that it does have AV-in as well.

Assuming you have a cam with the AV-in all you ned to do is power it up in VCR mode (or whatever its called on your cam), not in the normal camcorder mode, and then as the name suggests you can just connect up an eternal camera and use the camcorder as a VCR.

If you don't already have a camcorder and are looking to buy then let us know your budget and we will give some advise on which make & model(s) to go for.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. Alan842

Alan842

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I have an ancient Panasonic which doesn't seem to have an input. Earlier this year I bought a DVD camcorder which only has AV out (got fed up lugging TV, video deck, leads, mains plug etc to the club, now just need a portable DVD player).

I'd be interested to know which camcorders can record from AV In, preferably without having yet another format, the Panasonic is VHS-C.

Meanwhile, I'll test what the red plug does by trying to record to my VHS recorder.

Thanks, Alan

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First I don't think you'll find a VHS-C camera having AV-in it was not a function available on those sorts of camera so - a new camera then -depends on how much you want to spend on a new camera - choose one in your budget and read the specification, every one I've read clearly states in it's spec "DV-in/out and/or AV-in/out" so you shouldn't have to much trouble choosing.

If you read some of the other threads in this forum you will see that I strongly recommend DV in AND out so it's just a matter of looking for the AV-in bit in the spec.