1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I really mod my X-BOX for around £30 with no soldering

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by dUnKle, Aug 9, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Im cack handed and know that I would mess any soldering job up but caught a glimpse of this and wandered exactly how it works

I want to mod my box just to be able to get prog scan out of it - would this allow for that (I have the high def box already)

What else would I need to know - my XBOX has been with me since day 1 - would this work on it ?

Sorry for questions but all the techno talk about bios flashing and different mods confuses me

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    oh - sorry couple more things

firstly - would I be better off with Xecuter Lite 2.3b, Xapter & Programmer Combo (even though im not sure what it does)

and also would I now be able to play MAME and the like with this - and if so how do I get mame stuff onto the XBOX ?

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I got as far as checkout ordering that paricular package, only to find that the 2.3b pro is out of stock anyway. I've finished up ordering a SmartXX instead from premodded and am going to have a go at the soldering.

4. cracken

cracken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    definately go Xecuter route and find a mate that can solder, its the chip of choise.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319

Is this not the same but just a non solder version - also what difference do the different chips make

All I really want to do is be able to have high res and run emu stuff on my box

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Why?

I see that the xecuter chips are very popular and as a novice would be interested why Xecuter make the best chips?
    Having nearly bought an executer 2.3b I have been swayed into buying a smartxx which is a next generation chip so potentially has more features and is more up to date. Like I say, I am a newbie modder but I have scoured every xbox mod site on the web and loads of the modding forums over the last couple of days to try and get a feel for the whole thing.

Duncan, for the price of the 2.3b lite at about 20 quid or £28.99 with the xapter solderless kit, I am sure you would be happy that it adequately serves your purpose.
    For a more detailed comparison between chips have a look HERE for 4th generation mod chips and HERE for 3rd generation chips, ie xecuter 2.xx
    Personally I am glad I have steered away from xecuter now because I was never too sure about dressing my xbox up like a xmas tree with those supplied led's!

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    How do these chips work - or probably best asked as what do they do ?

How for instance could I run emulation software (if that is what my choice would allow) and would it allow me to use the high def mode

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In a nutshell, they bypass the Xbox's own bios, enabling you to load a bios of your choice at startup - this will let you do pretty much whatever you want to (bios dependant of course :)) Install Apps & Emulators, install a larger hard drive, store your games on the Xbox - you name it, you can do it (pretty much) :)

One of the main reasons the Xecuter range of chips come so highly rated, is primarily as a result of their support - there are other brands about, but Xecuter are one of the few "brands" about who actually actively participate in the scene. Check out www.teamxecuter.com for some more information about them - they have some very useful forums too :)

Forget 2nd/3rd/Next Generation terminology - whilst it's true to say that the technology is always moving and evolving, unless you're well and truly "into" the scene, the type of chip you get will be pretty much irrelevant. Some great bargains can be had on the Xecuter 2.xx generation chips at the moment with the impending arrival of the Xecuter 3 so take advantage! :) Most features available to you will be down to the Bios you choose, as opposed to the chip you choose so focus your research there if you want to stay on top of things :)

K.

[Edited cos I cin't spall]

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Thanks very much

Am I correct in thinking that once the chip is installed I then just install the stuff onto the XBOX via the PC

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Yes, you can make a network between your xbox and pc.

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Thanks - took a gamble and gone for the solderless option with the programmers kit thing

At this stage I just will see what happens and see if I get the high def working

Thanks again