1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I really improve on this picture?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by novaya_zemla, Oct 19, 2004.

1. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting to think I am the Hill-Billy equivalent of the AV world! :clown: I think my GB2 Freeview box scarted to my PW6 looks great! I use the GB2 to 'switch' my DVD in and out and the DVD looks great too! :D

Am I missing out on something? Will I be blown away by spending another two hundred quid on a VGA converter? or will it just look the same? :mad:

Apart from a slight banding which is evident around say, a candle in a cave, how will things improve? Can the picture really be improved on? Help.....

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need a back to back demonstration to convince you. To get real VFM you need to sell your scart board, the iprovement is real, crisper, sharper, better colours, get the VGA converter on sale or return, distance selling regs cover this.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    novaya_zemla

Stop right there! - if your 'happy' with your set up and it fulfils all of your main criteria do you really want to go chasing the last few percentage of video nirvana!!!

Lots of us 'anoraks' on the AV Forums do but you have to be prepared to shell out a fair few quid to get there - you have been warned :)

Best regards

Joe

4. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Joe,
    I think that's some of the best advice I've ever read on these forums and deserved a mention to highlight the fact!!
    Andrew:)

5. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice indeed - I think I will keep my dosh in the bank :)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Or in the beer kitty, absolutely. Most of my 'budget' installs are with RGB scart, though I do use the odd VGA converter, as it's only a few quid more than scart if you're starting from scratch. It's a great way to connect, say, a STB, a DVD and a S-vhs recorder, all via a scart switching amp. And the vast majority of the public don't give a damn for the ultimate picture, they just want a simple, understanable system they can fix if it goes a bit wrong, and has a picture at least as good as the 28" they got from Currys last time.

7. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info MAW - I won't rule it out completely but think I will get a demo before I decide to go for it... Is there anything I can do in the meantime about that banding which is often seen in clear blue sky shots or as I mentioned around a candle in a dark room etc?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, that's a classic PW6 problem, their achilles heel so to speak. It is helped by a VGA converter, and Gordon or Piers would be happy to help with an ISF calibration, about £250. I refer you to Joe's words of wisdom above on th subject of money. You could help this with the converter by selling the scart board on fleabay, but nobody buys 2ndhand calibration!