Can I put two component outputs into one component input?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
My DVD player is connected to my (CRT, non progressive) TV via component as I only have one RGB scart which my Freeview PVR occupies. I had my PS2 hooked up to the composite input, but it was poo LOL....

So I "borrowed" a PS2 component lead and hooked it up in place of the DVD player to test it, and it's much better - better enough to make me wnat to continue using it instead of the composite connection.

However, my TV only has one component input (and my amp, thanks Sony, doesn't have component)

So, can I simply and easily connect both my PS2 and my DVDplayer to the single component input on my TV, using simple 2-rca-into-1-rca adapters, like so;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-RCA-Femal...ryZ31492QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering as I don't really want a manual, or a remote control, switch to change the inputs as such. I know I can't have both on at the same time, which I wouldn't do. Just want to know if there would be any negative effects caused by using these, and what would they be?

Thanks!

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Youre gonna need a component switch,red ,green and blue.That e-bay item is a audio Y splitter(although you could use it for composite,i suppose)but it will be crap:D.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
For £55 it better make my breakfast, lunch and dinner, and satisfy my sexual urges!

All I wanna do is play a PS2 now and again - I don't want that "luxury" to cost me £55!

How come I can't use the the Y-splitters, albeit in reverse as such, then? Why would the quality be downgraded?

D

Deleted member 161415

For £55 it better make my breakfast, lunch and dinner, and satisfy my sexual urges!

All I wanna do is play a PS2 now and again - I don't want that "luxury" to cost me £55!

How come I can't use the the Y-splitters, albeit in reverse as such, then? Why would the quality be downgraded?

Becaus splitters do not work in reverse. A splitter takes one signal and feeds it to two devices. You want to take two signals and feed them in one device. (apologies if this is patronising, it is not meant to be).

Although, if you can be certain that neither of your sources will be on at the same time, then, I think these items will work. The question is as to will they grip your tv sockets stong enough to stay in place when connect with two heavy component leads.

I would be tempted to have one component leade from your TV to these splitters (this would allow the splitters to rest on the floor) and then connect your devices to the splitters.

For waht its worth your local elctronics store (even B & Q) will have these.

The problem with these are that in the way you want to use them they will not manually swithc or remotely. You will just have to ensure that only one device is on at a time.

Good luck

Mark

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
What happens if both devices are on at the same time? Such as inadvertantly turning on the DVD player by mistake whilst the PS2 is on.....

D

Deleted member 161415

What happens if both devices are on at the same time? Such as inadvertantly turning on the DVD player by mistake whilst the PS2 is on.....

No damage will occur, I would expect the picture and sound just to be scrambled

Mark

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't have thought any damage would occur, but always best to be sure! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom