1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I put my Yamaha Amplifier on it's side?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by d.boyd1uk, Jan 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. d.boyd1uk

d.boyd1uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv'e run out of room, got no where else to put it apart from a wooden shelf which is in an alcove, the wall is divides us and next door, and my missus is afraid it may cause to much noise for next door.
    So my other option is to put it in my AV cabinet on it's side, the cabinet has glass doors.

What should I do?

The shelf I would put it on would be the top shelf that you can see in the cabinet, it doesn't look right next to the TV, just put it there temporary. and yes I know my doors are scew wiff :D

Edit, Picture added
    [​IMG]

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    I think your talking about your sub? Puting it in the cabinet on its side probably isn't a good idea. it doesn't have to be next to the tv. Could it drop down behind the cabinet ? (although thats probably a mass of cables like mine) Or maybe get a longer lead and position it elsewhere in the room.

3. d.boyd1uk

d.boyd1uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actullay there isn't many cables behind there, most are in the new cabinet I bought, only 4 plug leads and speaker wire.
    Would it be ok behind the TV, would it spoil the sound?

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Try it and see. Often with subwoofers, as the sound is supposed to be omnidirectional, placing it close to a solid wall can enhance bass frequencies and help to disguise the directionality. Beware of the dreaded boominess though.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i'd take those doors right off to be honest - wouldn't want that amp over heating, they get hot enough as it is lol.