1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i put a sub on DPL setup??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mathewm, Oct 22, 2002.

1. mathewm

mathewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all, im new here, so apologies if this question is an old one(i did a search...)I have a cheap DPL setup(goodmans/comet unit) that has done the job for a while now, i cant afford a new setup so was wondering if i could put a subwoofer onto the system i have. There are only outputs to go to speakers, no pre-outs or sub channel, if i bought a set of 5 speakers and a sub, would i be able to run them from the amp i have? I have noticed that some subs have speaker outs on the rear of them, thats why i ask if i could do that. Any ideas??

thanks
    Matt;)

2. Dittohead

Dittohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

the answer to your question is yes. You could connect a sub to your set up by wiring the speaker terminals on your amp to the terminals on the sub and then connecting speakers to the sub. However, the sub will only have terminals for 2 channels so you would have to wire just the main speakers to the sub, meaning you would not get sub bass effects from all 5 channels. As you are using a Pro-Logic set up though there is no LFE channel so it wouldn't matter that much. It'll still sound better.

Hope this helps.

3. mathewm

mathewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that the out puts are already amped, could i use an active sub or would i have to use a passive unit??

Thanks again, and being able to use a sub has brightened my day...
    matt

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can use a passive sub, but this would of course put more stress on your current amp. Thus an active one is recommended which you then can use later when upgrading to Dolby Digital / DTS, too.

Make sure that the active sub does have speaker level (high level) connections - not all do!

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Many ProLogic only decoders do have their own form of bass management (very rudimentary though :) )

Basically the rear channel contains no bass - it's limited to 100-7kHz - so no problem there.
    The centre channel on many decoders has a setting for Normal, Wide and Phantom. Obviously Phantom is for no actual physical centre speaker present, while Wide is the setting for a "full range" centre. The Normal setting will cut the bass to the centre and send it to the fronts.

This is very handy for your proposed setup, as long as your decoder gives you the centre speaker options of course.

6. mathewm

mathewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do indeed have an option alter the sound around the speakers, so when i do finally get a sub i can play to get the best sound, and i do intend to upgrade eventually also, so thanks to all for your advise, i will let you all know how it works out when i get a sub.:D