1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I put a sheet of glass over the CRT lenses?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon1967, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am in the process of having my room extended and am pretty sure about housing a projector in a coffee table.

I have a couple of boys, one 5 months, the other nearly 13 so have designed a coffee table cabinet with a hinged cover but was wondering if I could do away with the hinged cover for the lenses and put a glass side panel to protect the lenses from inquisitive hands. It may be defeating the object of having expensive lenses in the CRT and covering them with some regular glass but I was just thinking. With the focus from the lenses so far from the cabinet glass perhaps it wouldn't make any difference in the sense you are focusing through the cabinet glass. If this worked, perhaps I could go one stage further and use mirrored glass or one way glass so you couldn't see the crt lenses at all?

Just thinking? My pj isn't installed at the moment and I may be changing it so I haven't experimented by putting glass in front of the lenses. Anybody willing to try and let me know what (if any) difference it makes.

Thanks all.

Simon

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Other than the optical issues, that I'm sure other forum members are more qualified on, what about air-flow in and out to cool it?

regards,
    Rob.

3. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of your problems will be optical like Rob has said, I would strongly advise you not to do it as you are likely to incounter the following...

Convergence errors with the lenses being pointed at an angle, focus errors inc Scheimflug. Loss of image brightness and possibly contrast due to the washing out caused by secondary reflections, even double imaging (ghosting). Not least colour distortion and depth of field reduction.

You don't say what projector it is so I'm not sure on where the intake fan's or output fan's are, so don't know about frying it.

Having exposed lenses with kids around is kinda asking for trouble anyway, can't you just ceiling mount it and get it outta there way?? Or shoot the kids!! LOL.

4. gerni g.

gerni g.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

shooting the kids isn´t the way to go, better do some liquidcoupling. this will resolve all optical problems.

g.

5. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best remove fish from tank first though eh??

6. gerni g.

gerni g.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi anders,

yep, first remove fish and after a meal you could build a water cooled hush box.

g.

7. gerni g.

gerni g.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah, missed something.
    why not build a water cooled hushbox out of glass and add some nice little tropical fishes. you could save the heating and the kids have something to look at.

g.

8. gerni g.

gerni g.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and one again,

when designed smartly, the airflow of the pj could produce some nice bubbles.
    this would be the first aqua pj.
    think how this will look when ceiling mounted.

g.

9. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice, the water could also act as a intercooler to keep temperatures down. With the outgoing air getting rid of the need for a heater and oxygen pump!

You may joke but I have designed a rear projected 'virtual fishtank' 8mx2m for a museum in New York!! Don't ask.

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Get a piece of glass and try it. It might be worth putting a 1or 2 degree slant on it to prevent the light going staight back into the tubes. Design you cabinet so that the glass stays in place when you do the adjustments.
    But Cooling, would be my prime concern. and macking sure it's sticky drink proof too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.