Can i program a "long" button press on a Harmony 555?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dino_jr, May 3, 2007.

1. dino_jr

dino_jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hello.
    My new TV, a Panny TX32LXD70, requires you to hold down the power button for about 1 second to turn it off. However my 555 just sends a normal "single" press of the power button. ie the TV stays on!

Can anyone help? The logitech software doesn't seem to mention how to do this.

2. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    You should be able to change the button delays on the Logitech software

3. Andy80

Andy80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try setting your remote to use separate power-on, power-off commands instead of a single power-toggle. I couldn't get my Panny 37PV500 to turn-on using my Harmony 885 until I used separate commands. My display responds more quickly to my 885 than to the Panasonic remote too.

4. dino_jr

dino_jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What would I need to set the delays for? Surely the delays can't set a "hold down button" time?

Andy I tried your idea too but this doesn't work either!

Anyone have ideas?

5. Andy80

Andy80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You need the hold the on/off button on my Panasonic remote down for several seconds before the display responds when turning-on. At the time I thought it was because the Harmony wasn’t sending the command for long enough, but I feel sure now that it was just sending the wrong command. Even the command learned from the original remote didn’t work. I solved the problem by getting the Harmony to send descrete on/off commands, which is why I think a couple different commands may be being sent by the original remote depending on how long the button is pressed.

Though turning-off is the problem above, it seems similar.

6. daffs

daffs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,
    I received this from logitech support (about a different problem) but i think it might help as it mentions a "leave" action - that might help.

alternatively am i right in thinking if you teach it a raw command it sends it exactly as received - so if you teach it a custom command and hold down the requisite button on the original remote for several seconds then use that new command in the "custom actions" bit of the instructions that should work.

alternatively the custom actions section does allow some delays to be addded.

anyway here it is, hope it helps :-
    "
    To setup a custom action for your activities, here are the steps involved:

1. Login to your Harmony Homepage (http://members.harmonyremote.com)
    2. Click on "Customize" next to the appropriate activity.
    3. Select "Run the setup wizard again" and click next through the wizard, as we are not making any changes to the initial setup.
    4. When you reach the "Settings Confirmation" page, select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity" and press "Next".
    5. You can add additional devices to an activity within the next page by pressing "Add" beside the device, to access the next page, press "Save".
    6. Run through the activity setup wizard again
    7. You will come to a section called "Custom Actions"
    8. From the "Add Action" drop-down box, you can select the device you will create a custom action for and then press "Add". Within the next page you have to create the custom action (ie. change input, send an infrared command, create a delay, set to a channel). Click on next when done.
    9. You can also create a "Leave" action that the Harmony will send once another activity is selected or the "Off" button is selected.
    10. Once the custom actions have been created, press "Save".
    11. In the "Settings Confirmations" page, you will notice your custom action will be a part of the start up or exit of the activity.
    12. Update your remote.
    "

7. dino_jr

dino_jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    OK well I added a custom "power off" option, but yet againg the 555 sends a brief push, and not a long one. I haver tried to learn the power button as a RAW command, but it doesn't learn a long push either!

This is crazy! No-one else have a Panny TV with this problem? It can't be this difficult!

8. dino_jr

dino_jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    UPDATE: I solved it!

In device options under troubleshoot, there is a "remote too sensitive" setting, on a scale of 1 - 5. I increased this from 3 to 4, and now the TV gets a long enough signal to switch off.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

9. ashrob

ashrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there.

Could anyone be a bit more specific about where exactly this setting is on the Harmony 555 as I've looked but can't find it?

Thanks.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Hi. It depends on what the problem is. There are repeats, delays, and durations. You're meant to run the Troubleshoot to find the solution. If that doesn't fix it come back and give us the details. Logi

11. ashrob

ashrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply. The problem is with controlling my Panasonic TX-P42G20. The power button needs a long press of at least 1 second's duration to turn it on but I can't find how to do this and I can't see it under the troubleshoot option.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Just in case you don't make any further progress on this matter with your Logitech I thought you might like to know that the Nevo Q50 has exactly this functionality.

In the Nevo programming suite you can specify for any IR command on any button or as part of any macro sequence to be output continuously for any period of time that you wish.

The Pronto Professional remotes also offer a similar level of functionality where you can specify a minimum output duration for each IR command in the project. This is not quite as flexible as the Nevo which can do so independently for each use of the IR command.

For example on the Prontos I can specify that the 'Power On' command for the Panasonic TV in the project always has a minimum output duration of 2 seconds every time it is used. On the Nevos I can set an output duration time for the 'Power On' command differently every time I use it on a button or in a macro sequence. This is useful particularly if it is just a 'Power Toggle' command which can be set to be output continuously for 2 seconds as part of a startup macro but when used on a button for direct control it can just have the shorter default output duration used.

Anyway I just thought I would point this out in case you get fed it with the Logitech and decide to purchase something a little bit more "professional".

13. Broadsword

Broadsword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Fixed that for you. :smashin:

14. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    All Panasonic TVs require this duration.

I've added your model number and it came up as "Panasonic TX-P42G20E"

In the default power settings Logitech add a duration field which is set to 2 seconds by default. This duration is applied when the Harmony is powering the TV on from an activity.

It doesn't apply to the powerOn or PowerToggle commands in device mode.

You shouldn't ever need to use it in device mode but if you do want it to work you can learn the power command in Custom mode.

Goto learn command and there is a Custom button at the bottom of the page. Learning in Custom (RAW) mode will learn the duration of the command as well as the pattern. You can learn up to about 1.5 seconds - anything longer and it fails. With a couple of attempts you should be able to get it.

As I've already said, this should be unneccessary as activities and the help button will use the duration in the power settings for the TV device

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    That's OK and this is a standard setting for Panasonics in the Harmony setup.
    As Monksy says the option is already set at Devices> TV> Adjust Power for your model and can be adjusted, and for other models Logitech support will add the option on request.

16. ashrob

ashrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies. I deleted the original device (I hadn't added the hyphen) and it's working now.

17. zotac

zotac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a problem with the long press of a button to turn off. I can not find the option about wroted @dino_jr "remote too sensitive"
    whether someone can help me to find this option and set up the remote for an long press of a button to turn off?

18. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Well done on finding this antique thread!
    Which part of post 8 are you having problems with?

19. zotac

zotac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not understand where the option "remote too sensitive," I can not find her.
    maybe the thread antique but for me it interesting to solve my problem.

20. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Do you have a Harmony 555?
    Does it have the option called Troubleshoot?

21. zotac

zotac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course there is an option troubleshoot. I have a Logitech 555. option "remote too sensitive" can not possibly find, and I'm sure I was somewhere observed during the setting of the remote past years.

22. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    dino_jr found the option. That was 8 years ago but it should still be present.