1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I plug my Sky+, DVD etc into an AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Not A Clue, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I'm new at all this so please bear with me.

I want to wall mount my plasma and plaster over the cables, so to make life easier I want a media box. That way I plug everything into a media box and the cables that run from that to the plasma don't have to be touched. In the future I can then change my media box inputs whenever i want to.

My question is, is a media box the same as an AV receiver and with the AV receiver will I be able to plug everything in (e.g. sky+, dvd etc)...I obviously want my dvd to be plugged in using components.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Alphatoner

Sep 28, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Depends on your amp.

The chances are unless your amp is at the high end it will only do switching.

ie take 2/3 component cables in from different sources and 1 component out to your plasma. You then select which signal to "Switch" to on the amp or remote.

Higher end amps often offer up conversion which takes signals of different types and converts them to component. I could be wrong but i don't know of any receiver that does this for scart. so if you have any scart outpus your probably stuck anyway unles you buy a seperate convertor.

When u say media center do you mean external tuner?

If your amp doesn't do up conversion you have a number of options.

Change your amp (but check it can handle your inputs)
    Add boards to the plasma to allow for all the inputs you need.
    Do external conversion (JGB etc) and then on to your amp
    Buy a scaler.
  3. chedmaster

Jan 29, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    it can be done easily

SKY + > S-video to amp
    DVD > component to amp
    XBox/ps2 (with extra lead) > s-video to amp

amp > component to plasma

I believe the Yamaha's from the RXV-557 up do component conversion, which are very reasonable money.

Different plasmas handle s-video to varying degrees. It may look amazing, it may look pants. If it look pants, get a JS Tech RGB to YUV (component) converter and feed that in to the amp as well.

You could also get a better cable for the game console (if you have one!) (component) to further improve quality

Media box is usually a term used for a box that has a tuner and lots of inputs, and is designed for a particular plasma.
    AV amps can do the same job without the tuner, but you have sky for that.