Can I play PS2 games on a PS3?

gordon115

Established Member
Reaction score
My son wants a PS3. Will he be able to still use his PS2 games?

If you buy the original 60GB PS3 yes you can, but it'll be hard finding a brand new 1 unboxed for a good price.

Rather than start a new thread can i just ask, is there ANY way at all that i can get my PS3 to play PS2 games. I have a 40gb one and am aware that they dont but wondered whether it could be doctored so to speak ;)

Ok thanks. Bit of a shame that as my 4 yr old would love some of the cheaper PS2 games. Ah well....

a used FAT PS2 is £40 from gamestation or Slim for £50. Probably cheaper on Fleabay. Best option really.

and they only wanted to give me £15 for my fat silver (fat ones much better I reckon...keep ya cheap lookin skinnys :D) gave it to a friend instead (at least I know she'll love it :smashin:)

i think sony have pretty much given up on doing backwards compatible ps3s now :(

i think sony have pretty much given up on doing backwards compatible ps3s now :(

BC as in having hard ware in the PS3 yes they have, but the rumour of them using full software emulation to have PS2 support and downloads via PS Store is still around, of course sony arn't saying if this will come true or not.

but wondered whether it could be doctored so to speak ;)
Yes, buy a PS2 slimline.

Unscrew the screws and open up your PS3, take out the motherboard and Blu-Ray drive.

Open up your PS2 slimline and put in the PS2's motherboard and DVD Drive into the Ps3 case.

You now have your Ps3 playing Ps2 games. :clap:

Yes, buy a PS2 slimline.

Unscrew the screws and open up your PS3, take out the motherboard and Blu-Ray drive.

Open up your PS2 slimline and put in the PS2's motherboard and DVD Drive into the Ps3 case.

You now have your Ps3 playing Ps2 games. :clap:

And more impressively if you take the Ps3 mobo and blu ray drive and put it into the PS2 case, a PS2 that plays PS3 games!!

Last edited:
And more impressively if you take the Ps3 mobo and blu ray drive and put it into the PS2 case, a PS2 that plays PS3 games!!

Or better still if you put the PS3 motherboard and Blu-Ray drive into an Xbox360 case you will have permanently fixed the RROD problem. :clap: :rotfl:

BC as in having hard ware in the PS3 yes they have, but the rumour of them using full software emulation to have PS2 support and downloads via PS Store is still around, of course sony arn't saying if this will come true or not.

i would think that PS2 games on PS Store are at least two years away. it would require a new generation of internet connections to handle the bandwidth requirement, same with any sort of DVD download solution.

i would think that PS2 games on PS Store are at least two years away. it would require a new generation of internet connections to handle the bandwidth requirement, same with any sort of DVD download solution.

Why? You can download Burnout Paradise City and GT5p, which is nearly 7gb. Its a serious question, not trying to be smart

Why? You can download Burnout Paradise City and GT5p, which is nearly 7gb. Its a serious question, not trying to be smart

a serious answer to your question is that if it were a viable possibility then we would already be doing it :)

a couple of ps3 games is not equal to the large library of ps2 games that would need to be made available in order for it to be a substitute for backwards compatibility. If I were to download all of the ps2 games I currently own then they would not fit onto any of the hard drives supplied with any current retail version of the ps3, not to mention the constraints on internet connections over here.

That's why my estimate is that this kind of service won't be available for at least two years. It is just my opinion though so I am fully aware that I may be wrong, and I wasn't trying to state it as fact or anything :)

a serious answer to your question is that if it were a viable possibility then we would already be doing it :)

a couple of ps3 games is not equal to the large library of ps2 games that would need to be made available in order for it to be a substitute for backwards compatibility. If I were to download all of the ps2 games I currently own then they would not fit onto any of the hard drives supplied with any current retail version of the ps3, not to mention the constraints on internet connections over here.

That's why my estimate is that this kind of service won't be available for at least two years. It is just my opinion though so I am fully aware that I may be wrong, and I wasn't trying to state it as fact or anything :)

I think the bigger issue is getting the games to run via software emulation. Pretty sure that bandwidth is not an issue as more full sized games seem to be creeping on to PSN. Xbox live already does it with some original xbox games. Also I would have thought that only select games will be added if it was going to happen. Resident Evil 4, etc etc. :)

bandwidth is not a issue nor is size as you can download Full sized PC games at 8GB plus so that isn't a issue at all,

The issue is as mentioned in getting a fully working software based emulator you wouldn't need to download them all from the PS Store either i'm sure it would be made to work with the discs as well.

Dont forget that most PS2 games do not fill a dual layer DVD, most don't even fill a single layer. Add to this the fact that most of the textures, audio, video and models on a PS2 disc will often be uncompressed on the disc to allow for better performance and you can see that the games need not be an unreasonable size for current broadband speeds. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for Sony to trickle out some PS2 games on the store and get the emulation working for individual games rather than a universal emulator (much like the 360 and original Xbox games).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom