Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my setup is:
AMD 64 X2 5000+ @ 2.6GHz
OCZ 2GB DDR2 800MHz
Arctic power 500W
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM

+ optical drive and HDDs

according to Core Temp with the CPU running 100% load (i run Folding at ome sometimes so its coz of that) the temps are 37/36 and 31/30 for cores 0 and 1 respectively on stock cooler

i have been pointed to this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17612922 siteto read it and also to use Prime 95 version 25.6 when done to check all is ok

hw would i go about this and is it possible please

i kno its best to do in the BIOS but want advice as want to be careful with my system as is fairly new

anyone help with this please?

If you dont understand the guide on ocuk your probably best off leaving your rig unclocked as overclocking if done wrong is the fastest way to kill your pc.

If you really have to overclock then allot of mobo companies have overclocking tools included with the mobo. Your best best would be to try this and set it to say 10%. Monitor the temps under full load with prime 95 and see how you get on. :)

i understand the guide, i never said i didnt i just wanna be careful doing it

my mobo did come with some software i cant remember what right at the moment but its best in the BIOS is it not and according to the guide prime 05 doesnt do multiple cores very well or somethin?

prime 95 only runs on a single core so to test dual or quad cores you would have to run 2 or 4 instances of the program and assign one to each processor core.

prime 95 only runs on a single core so to test dual or quad cores you would have to run 2 or 4 instances of the program and assign one to each processor core.

not true the newer version will stress all 4 or 2 cores

i just ran up and got the CD that game with my mobo and the program that it classes as system enhancement utility is called EasyTune 5 Pro, any good and worth trying?

the site is EasyTune 5 i believe after a quick google

i have a look in my BIOS and can change my clock speed (between 200 and 500), can change my multiplier (from 6 to 12.5 in steps of 0.5) as well as voltages

Basically you are best changing the multiplier at first.

I assume it is running at ~200mhz per core with a multiplier of roughly 6.5.

Increase the multiplier by 0.5, check if it runs stable and then increase it 0.5 again. Should get you close to 2.8ghz.

I wouldn't change the core clock unless you really wanted to overclock, and then best with an after-market cooler.

Forgot to add. I wouldn't over-clock unless you are having performance issues.

Last edited:
im not having performance issues but any extra processing power and clock speed i can get out of it for maybe a few more degrees heat would be pretty good for free

according to Core Temp again

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (Brisbane)
Frequency: 2605.55Mhz (200.43*13.0)
VID: 1.3V

looks like your predictions are right matt

so bump to up to 7 which would give me 200.43*14 = 2806.02
if that is fine up to 7.5 giving me 3006.45

while on core temp me sat here on <10% load and getting Core #0 22 C and Core #1 16C

don't amd do a tool that handles overclocking for you?

google it :smashin:

in fact, i've googled it, and here it is

edit - trust, one of your cores will not be running at 16degrees

not true the newer version will stress all 4 or 2 cores
really? i was not aware of that thanks for the update..... ill have to download a newer version now lol dammit lol

I don't understand the current system of 'If we have 2 cores running at 1.4ghz with a muliplier of 6.5 that is the same as 2.8ghz with a muliplier of 13"

Because at the moment you don't generally use 2 cores equally, so much of the time you are actually using just 1 core. Although concurrency is becoming much more common, I still bet it will be another 12months before concurrency is standard on most software.

im not having performance issues but any extra processing power and clock speed i can get out of it for maybe a few more degrees heat would be pretty good for free

according to Core Temp again

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (Brisbane)
Frequency: 2605.55Mhz (200.43*13.0)
VID: 1.3V

looks like your predictions are right matt

so bump to up to 7 which would give me 200.43*14 = 2806.02
if that is fine up to 7.5 giving me 3006.45

Should be fine. According to the OC forum article modern AMDs with HyperTransport work differently with muliplier and FSB clocking, but I think that increasing the muliplier by upto 1.0 should result in a stable clock if you only want a 400mhz boost. If you wanted to go higher then you would probably boost the FSB and lower the multiplier.

I'm fairly sure that my 2.8ghz runs at 200mhz with a 7.0 multiplier, so you would basically be making your 5200 a 5600.

ok will try that soon and dl prime 95 in a min so its ready

i will go up .5 first and make the multiplier 7

i did think it odd that it reported 16 C

this is only a small OC at the moment and so i might go more if all is good when i can get a better cooler

don't amd do a tool that handles overclocking for you?

google it :smashin:

in fact, i've googled it, and here it is

edit - trust, one of your cores will not be running at 16degrees

AMD Overdrive, i cant seem to find a dl link though or should it be on the disc that came with the mobo?

right i just booted into the BIOS and set the multiplier and it turns out highest the multiplier can go is 13x and it is not for each core its overall (so not as stupid as thought)

so for 2.8GHz i have to increase FSB by 15/16 and IF all is ok then adding another 15/16 will give 3GHz

wot increments should increase in?

Set the clock to ~215 with a multiplier of 13 which will give ~2.8ghz.

According to the net setting the clock to 225 with a multiplier of 13 will get you a stable ~3ghz, but as every CPU is different best to take it slow. This is with the v-core at 1.4v.

You may need to set the v-core to ~1.35, or if the voltage is auto it should do so automatically.

Last edited:
the voltage is not on auto due to the RAM wanting 1.9V and only getting 1.8V or somethin remember that?

shall i gointo the BIOS now and go for 215 * 13 @ 1.35V to give me circa 2.8GHz?

then what shall i use to stress test and then if all ok go for 230*13 @ 1.4V?

so lower the multiplier nd use a higher FSB instead?

The higher the clock the more voltage you need.

I would set the voltage to 1.35 and use a multiplier of 13 with a clock of 210 at first. Then stress it with the apps other suggested.

Then try for the magic 215 which gives 2795 if my math is right.

At a multiplier of 12 you may need close to 1.5v for the CPU core, which is asking for trouble, and many mobos don't even go that high, I think mine only does about 1.4v.

your math is perfectly correct yes

i will go for 210 then for 216 then if everything is ok will let you know wots going on and it can be decided wots best

before i go do it how long should i let this stress test last?

If it runs for an hour then it will probably be fine. As you aren't doing a really large OC that should be long enough.

Temperature is what will likely kill you as the voltage needed wont be beyond what the mobo or PSU can supply, so if running at 100% for 30mins doesn't overheat the CPU then in the real world nothing will.

Although the longer the better.

The main things that result in system instability are the voltages being too low for when the CPU is at full pelt or the temperature causing the system to shutdown. Neither should be a major issue if the system is stable at the moment.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom