• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I make the rear surround and sub wireless?

lowster

Standard Member
Is there a product I can buy that will enable me to make my rear surround and sub on a 5.1 system wireless? Does it have any adverse affects making it wireless as apposed to wired? Cheers

MaturityDodger

Prominent Member
What is your current system? That will affect the answer. Do you have a full AVR and speaker set? Or a one-box thing?

Whatever you do, you will never make the surrounds and sub fully wireless. The speakers still need to be powered somehow.
You can get systems where you put a wireless transmitter on the L&R surround pre-outs of your main AVR. You then have a secondary amplifier at the back of the room with a wireless receiver attached. This drives the surrounds. This approach requires an AVR with pre-outs though.
So I really need to know what system you're trying to add this to.

Unless you start spending fairly serious money, then quality will be degraded by going wireless.

By far the best/easiest option would be to find a way to run cables. Around the edge of the carpet, or in D-line trunking maybe?

lowster

Standard Member
It's a one box - sony bdv e370. Really going to struggle running the cables without them looking unsightly,which is a show stopper as far as the missus is concerned! I have discreet power points available so that won't be an issue. Are there any reasonably priced/compatible receiver/transmitter packages available do you know? I'm struggling to search for what it is I'm after.

MaturityDodger

Prominent Member
According to a page I just saw on the product you have, it can be upgraded to have wireless surrounds by buying the Sony S-Air transmitter and receiver.
I need to go out now so don't have time to verify that or look into it any further I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom