Can I make a decent home cinema system from this?

doopydug

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to move to a new house and have the need to start a new home cinema setup from scratch.

I have a PS3 which will be used as my Blu Ray player and a Denon DM38DAB micro System with a pair of Wharfedale 10.1s

Is it possible to make this into a decent cinema / hifi setup or am I just dreaming?

I will be using Virgin TIVO system to provide the signal for the TV which is likely to be a 42-50in LED TV, if I can find one without the need for 3d glasses (not interested in 3d viewing)

That DAB system is a digital radio that has 30w stereo speakers - and provides no real audio input except a USB connection to an ipod or iphone.

How is that in any way the basis for a home cinema system?

You need a system which supports output to at least six speakers (front left, front right, centre, rear left, rear right and sub-woofer), packs a hell of a lot more punch than 30w per channel, it needs to be able to process digital surround sound (at least DD and/or DTS) fed it to it from an external source, and you need to be able to feed it via one of the digital audio outputs your DVD/Blu Ray player is capable of - i.e. optical, HDMI or (in most cases, though not yours seeing as you've only got a PS3) digital coaxial.

At a pinch you could use your PS3 as the Blu-Ray/DVD player. But your digital radio is of no use as the amplifier/speaker part of your home cinema system.

Thank you for the reply - it was a forlorn hope.

I really wanted a home cinema system to play music over as well as my TV programmes but did not want to "waste" the Denon as I really like it.

No problem - start from scratch it is then.....

It maybe possible to pump the audio to the dm38 as it has 2 aux inputs, but it definitely will not be surround sound. Stereo at best.

The ps3 & tivo can connect to tv using hdmi and using their respective audio analogue outputs, connect to the dm38. The ps3 does not have these per se but it has what i call Sony own connection which is similar in looks to a hdmi connector but not.
All ps3 are supplied with the cable for this when new and it has this connector at one end and 3 rca phono at the other which the red & white connectors can be connected to a line in input.

The tivo looks like it doesn't have analogue outputs either but i would of thought it possible to extract audio via its scart with a scart adaptor and a pair of rca phono cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0018DE4ZU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1361469733&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

So it can be done and cheaply too if u just want to improve tv sound but if you want proper surround sound, start from scratch as you are doing.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom