1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I loose my old 2 channel amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Peter Kempner, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Peter Kempner

Peter Kempner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am slowly putting together an AV system for the first time (pls be gentle ...) and have a couple of questions that I hope someone somewhere may be able to answer:

I am starting from a nice stereo system comprising an Arcam Apha 7SE CD player, a Rotel RA971 MkII amp and B&W602 speakers. I have recently added a 2nd hand Rel Q150 which I have hooked up via the high level connections to the Rotel. For me it has improved the stereo system a lot.

My question is:

1. Can I get rid of my Rotel amp and replace it with an AV amp while still keeping my Rel working with CD's (and 5.1)

My worry is: can I connect the high level inputs via the amp's speaker outs (as I currently do on the Rotel?) and the low level via the amp's LFE output -Or could I blow the Rel up???

2. About how much do I need to spend on an AV amp to get similar 2 channel performance as my Rotel. I am thinking of something like the Yamaha dsp ax750 or maybe the Denon 2805.

I am not so worried about the multi-channel performance as I am assuming if the stereo is good, the multi-channel will be more than good enough for someon who is used to a crappy VCR and a cheap telly!

Many thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :hiya: and welcome to the Avforums :smashin:

At a guess you can do the high and low level connections at the same time as its a Rel sub. It might be best to look in the manual with the sub or visit the Rel website if you dont have it and see if you can get a copy from them or even ask them directly.

If you have speace and are interested you might be best off to keep the Rotel and use it to drive the frotn channels while the AV amp drives all the rest. It does need a little more setting up and more cables but you wont be losing any 2 channel sound quality.

The ONLY option is to DEMO the amps your interested in and see if you can live with the stereo ability of them as I wouldnt think it will be quite as good as the Rotel. The newer AV amps are getting better with stereo but still cant beat a decent stereo amp. Good choise with the ax750 or 2105. Both goood amps.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'd keep your Rotel amp and use it to power the front channels for hi-fi and av use. I use a Denon 3802 receiver with a rotel RC870 pre and 2 RB850s (hopefully getting another for the centre soon). The pre amp has a passive cd direct circuit so the AV amp can be switched off for cd listening (your integrated might have this I'm not sure). The amps sound much better than the receiver did for CD and the power amps also improve the system with movies. The latest receivers maybe a little better than my 3802 with stereo but I doubt you'll better the sound of your existing amp with less than £1000.

I'm not sure but with older Rels you migh not be able to connect high and low level cables at the same time. If you put a post in the Subwoofer forum someone may be able to help. Rel also have pretty good support so they would probably tell you if you send them an email and may have a pdf copy of the manual.

4. Peter Kempner

Peter Kempner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both of you for your quick advice!

I will email Rel and ask them about driving the sub from the AV amp fro both stereo and multi-chjannel. I will post their reply here :clown: for others too.

I am not sure how I would use both amps together, with the stereo one to drive the front speaker pair. Would I need to constantly adjust the volume on the stereo amp to match the AV one? or could I somehow use one amps vol as the master. - As you can see, I am a real novice at all this.

Thanks again.

5. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Peter

If you use the stereo amp to drive the front speakers you would only have to set the volume to a specific point and then use the volume control on the AV amp as the master (when using multichannel)

Hpoe this helps, m8

Rgds, dishdoc :thumbsup:

6. Peter Kempner

Peter Kempner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dishdoc,
    As that's the case then I think that is waht I shall do.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rel subs are specifically designed so they can be set for both high and low level inputs simultanously, in fact Rel reccomend this setup for the best performance!

8. Peter Kempner

Peter Kempner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that mean that when the Rel gets both an LFE signal and a high level signal simultaneously (which it would in multichannel) that it ignores/switches off the High level input?

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what actually happens is this:
    If you have the mode switch to LFE it will ignore the hi-level input if you put it to line it will use the information from both at the same time. This will cause it to cover the bass that you're speakers can't produce and still output the movie's proper LFE signal!

10. Peter Kempner

Peter Kempner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the best of both worlds :clap: . My Q150 Rel doesn't have a mode switch though. Presumably it just auto detects the LFE signal?