• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I link all my sources through one receiver to my plasma?

W

weazel

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm still learning the ropes!

I've got the usual collection of sources - Sky box, DVD player, PS3, video recorder, etc. Is it possible to plug them all into the back of a receiver, for them all to be linked to my plasma screed via one HDMI cable?

This sounds nice and easy with only one cable to hide in conduit between the receiver and the plasma. If it's not possible, do I need a scart for all the analogue sources and an HDMI cable for the digital sources?

Can anyone suggest a receiver with 7.1 output that might best handle the above, and suit a large room, approx 8.0m x 7.0m?

Thanks

yetanotherbob

First of all, welcome to the forum :D

AS I am currently relocating everything onto one stand, I have just done exactly that, using a Sony 5200ES. You will be able to do it with a large number of the Onkyos, Sonys and Denons that are currently being released.

The only stumbling block you may come across, is if you have a box that only outputs RGB via SCART and has no component connectors, in which case you may have to use an RGB to component converter or resort to using composite.

Just look for an amp that states it "upconverts" analogue sources to HDMI, or if you want the amp to upscale the image prior to sending it up to the screen, one that "upscales"

Bob

EddyHorn

First of all, welcome to the forum :D

AS I am currently relocating everything onto one stand, I have just done exactly that, using a Sony 5200ES. You will be able to do it with a large number of the Onkyos, Sonys and Denons that are currently being released.

The only stumbling block you may come across, is if you have a box that only outputs RGB via SCART and has no component connectors, in which case you may have to use an RGB to component converter or resort to using composite.

Just look for an amp that states it "upconverts" analogue sources to HDMI, or if you want the amp to upscale the image prior to sending it up to the screen, one that "upscales"

Bob

I'm doing the same with the same receiver. My PVR was previously running RGB through a scart, changing to s-video routed through the receiver and upscaled to 1080i I found the picture to be slightly better and definitely no worse.

yetanotherbob

I'm doing the same with the same receiver. My PVR was previously running RGB through a scart, changing to s-video routed through the receiver and upscaled to 1080i I found the picture to be slightly better and definitely no worse.

Yup, forgot about s-video :oops: :D

Bob

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
One thing to remember though is that if you run all your equipment into your amp and then through a single HDMI to your TV you won't be able to have different visual TV settings for each device AFAIK as i'd assume they'll all be on the same channel.

I was thinking of going down the single HDMI cable to TV route myself but as my TV has tagertted input settings i don't want to have to find a happy medium that'll be simply good enough for all sources. It's a real pity as i'd really like to tidy everything up and possibly wall mount the TV.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong as this whole amp choosing business is starting to confuse me.

EddyHorn

One thing to remember though is that if you run all your equipment into your amp and then through a single HDMI to your TV you won't be able to have different visual TV settings for each device AFAIK as i'd assume they'll all be on the same channel.

I was thinking of going down the single HDMI cable to TV route myself but as my TV has tagertted input settings i don't want to have to find a happy medium that'll be simply good enough for all sources. It's a real pity as i'd really like to tidy everything up and possibly wall mount the TV.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong as this whole amp choosing business is starting to confuse me.

What you say is right but it also depends what you're sources are and if you want to upscale those sources or not. Also depends how many connections you have on your display, I have the benefit of 3 HDMI inputs but some only have 1 in which case a HDMI switching amp makes alot of sense.

yetanotherbob

That is the one drawback, ISF calibration is more difficult and you either have to manually change settings on the panel, or alternatively where possible calibrate the source component.

Gordon or Piers would be better qualified to advise us on that, as the new amps must have made their job a lot harder

Bob

Edit: PS I'm a philistine and I've calibrated my TV and everything else I stuff up my HDMI and it looks pretty darn good to me :D

M

Matt-UK

Also depends on your budget.

As stated previously there are a couple of nice options out now, and this months What HIFI? reviews 4 of the current higher end upscaling models (Pioneer LX70 / Onkyo 875 to name two)

I have just purchased the Onkyo 875 which allows me to feed in plenty of inputs and would easily accommodate what you need and some, but those Amps are priced around £900.

simonoaks

what plasma do you have ?

This will determine what inputs you have, whether you require the amp to do any processing of video, or whether, in order to get best out of screen (such as Pio 8g) you need to have separate video inputs to screen.

W

weazel

Thanks for the replies guys.

TV is a 50" Pioneer, about 9 months old, not the expensive 1080p model, wall mounted.

Just so I understand, if I'm not too worried about upscaling, can I just plug a scart from my old DVD player into the back of a suitable amp, or do I need a scart to component video cable?

yetanotherbob

Thanks for the replies guys.

TV is a 50" Pioneer, about 9 months old, not the expensive 1080p model, wall mounted.

Just so I understand, if I'm not too worried about upscaling, can I just plug a scart from my old DVD player into the back of a suitable amp, or do I need a scart to component video cable?

Unless your DVD player outputs a component signal through it's scart (a la Topfield 5800PVR) you would actually need an RGB to component converter from the likes of QED, Keene or JS (£60 -£125) to do the conversion, alternatively as we said above you would use either your s-video or composite output (and optical for the audio of course)

Bob

DNO

I've been considering doing this myself but have hit a potential snag which you may want to consider.:-

Some of the amps that do upconvert of analogue to HDMI ony do so for the Video signal working on the basis that you will use the amp to provide all your sound (ie the audio from your analogue sources is not carried to the TV on the single HDMI cable). However in my case the family often dont want the full blown sound and just wish to watch TV and use the TV speakers.

For this to work will require some additional cabling (RCA L+R) from amp to TV and the amp will need to stay on all the time to pass the audio.

Just thought you should be aware. If I'm wrong or there are sensible workarounds I'd love to know

W

weazel

Thanks. Didn't think about that, but my screen doesn't have any other speakers, so I'll have to train the rest of the family to get the whole thing working!

Regarding the receiver, I like the look of the Pioneer VSX-2016AV-S. Has anyone got any feedback on this model. Is it any good, or should I consider something else in the £500 - £750 bracket? I'm quite keen on 7.1 surround, but is it noticably better than 5.1 in reality? Are there many films released in 7.1?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Didn't think about that, but my screen doesn't have any other speakers, so I'll have to train the rest of the family to get the whole thing working!

Regarding the receiver, I like the look of the Pioneer VSX-2016AV-S. Has anyone got any feedback on this model. Is it any good, or should I consider something else in the £500 - £750 bracket? I'm quite keen on 7.1 surround, but is it noticably better than 5.1 in reality? Are there many films released in 7.1?

the amps most people seem to be going for are the new Onkyo's starting from the 605

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom