Quantcast

Can i legally return this TV ?

m11rphy

Hi all,

I purchased a panasonic vt50 from hyperfi in Romford on Saturday, I was told the tv was graded but was assured the only reason was due to a damaged box. I asked the salesman to confirm the tv hadn't been used and said I would be checking the hours on the panel when I got it home.

When I got the tv I checked and it had 55 hrs on it which I was very happy about but as I got a good deal thought I would let it go. However now I have discovered the tv has a annoying buzz when on a light background which is very loud. I can the store this morning and they are refusing a refund just a replacement hover they won't have stock for 2 weeks. Is there anyway I can force a refund ?

Plasmas do have a buzz on bright white backgrounds my bedroom has a loud one & my new LG50" has a quieter one not audible when watching a movie with the av kit on ;)..I would have thought its normal tbh.....

Last edited:

m11rphy

The Eggman72 said:
Plasmas do have a buzz on bright white backgrounds my bedroom has a loud one & my new LG50" has a quieter one not audible when watching a movie with the av kit on ;)..I would have thought its normal tbh.....
I am aware plasma TVs will have some buzz as does my pioneer but this is much louder and I have to increase the volume of the tv to compensate which is very annoying

See if someone from the retailer will come to your house to asses it & ask him if he finds the loudness of the buzz acceptable...might be worth a shot.....might also be worth asking in the manufacturer specific threads on here for people with the same set what the buzz level is like on theirs to see if yours is louder than the norm....

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Its fair for them to offer a replacement rather than refund, under SOGA they're under no obligation to give a refund. Under SOGA they can replace, repair or refund, its up to them. Sets do buzz but it can and does vary, I've had a V20 that buzzed louder than the PX80 I had prior and GT30 I had later. My replacement V20 was worse than my first and after a replacement PSU it was just as bad in a few days. My second V20 developed a fault so got a refund in the end, otherwise I think Id have had a fight on my hand. The D6900 I have now has a high frequency buzz that can be heard with some content but I rarely notice it. Your rooms acoustics can have an effect too, lack of soft furnishings, having the set in front of a bay window or in a corner can also have an effect.

m11rphy

How about the fact they lied about the product in the first place, they said the set wasn't used but in fact had 55hrs on the set when I got it home

tvmcp

This is one reason I never buy graded goods, as they can be more hassle than any saving is worth.

Unless you have something in writing, or can get them to retrospectively confirm what was said about the TV having had no use, you're going to have a hard time pressing that one.

I think you'd be doing well to get the replacement they offered, as presumably you'll end up with the model of TV you originally wanted, at the reduced price, but safe in the knowledge that it is new, and if you get the buzz again, you'll know it's just that TV.

I get a slight buzz off of mine, but it is now lower than it was when I first got it, as I got Pioneer to look at it when it had its screen replaced under warranty, I can't remember what they said they did, but now I only hear anything if I am really close to it and deliberately trying to hear it, but it's still there.
Chances are you've convinced yourself it's worse than it is, as you're now presuming it was a returned TV, due to that buzzing. Just get it changed and save yourself the stress!

m11rphy

The one they are offering is also going to be graded so could have the same or other faults

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
This is one reason I never buy graded goods, as they can be more hassle than any saving is worth.

Unless you have something in writing, or can get them to retrospectively confirm what was said about the TV having had no use, you're going to have a hard time pressing that one.

I think you'd be doing well to get the replacement they offered, as presumably you'll end up with the model of TV you originally wanted, at the reduced price, but safe in the knowledge that it is new, and if you get the buzz again, you'll know it's just that TV.

I get a slight buzz off of mine, but it is now lower than it was when I first got it, as I got Pioneer to look at it when it had its screen replaced under warranty, I can't remember what they said they did, but now I only hear anything if I am really close to it and deliberately trying to hear it, but it's still there.
Chances are you've convinced yourself it's worse than it is, as you're now presuming it was a returned TV, due to that buzzing. Just get it changed and save yourself the stress!
As above^^^^
I can understand the annoyance 55 hours isn't a great deal of use to be honest but of course that's not the point. It is hard to prove what a person says sadly and they're offering a replacement which is fare. If they can't get you a replacement that you're happy with then Id politely ask for a refund. Its best to be polite but firm of course, express your annoyance but do it in a polite way. Having worked in detail and being a customer with faulty goods If find polite and firm is the best way to go.
If it was sold as graded then that is a defence they could use if they decide not to help.
Get the matter resolved and then take any future customs elsewhere basically.

arenaman

Definitely check out your rights under the SOGA, I haven't got time to look it up but the goods weren't as described ie 2nd hand. 2 weeks to wait you could argue is an unreasonable length of time to wait and they're inconveniencing you so you want your money back.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
The one they are offering is also going to be graded so could have the same or other faults
If a graded set is offered you simply get them to put in writing the condition of the set.
55hours isn't a great deal of time, sounds like it may have been returned due to the buzz and sold on, this is quite common. You still have six months from purchase to the send it back under SOGA if an issue does develop without any need to prove it was pre-existing, then up to 6 years where you need to prove it was existing before purchase. If they put in writing the condition its sold in then that can be used at a later date. They must provide an acceptable replacement, if they can't they must refund.
You have to play it clever, keeping the retailer on side but demonstrating that you know your rights, most retailers would rather a customer was happy than have to go to a small claims court. You don't need to mention court as they're very likely aware of your consumer rights, they just need to know you are too.

A good place for info on your rights. Sale of Goods Act hub

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Definitely check out your rights under the SOGA, I haven't got time to look it up but the goods weren't as described ie 2nd hand. 2 weeks to wait you could argue is an unreasonable length of time to wait and they're inconveniencing you so you want your money back.
Good point, but Id check your rights first as if that's wrong you may lose any good will and things can become harder.

tvmcp

Then accept the graded TV, but explain that due to the last one having appeared to be a in used condition you'll require them to set it up in the showroom and display the number of hours it has been used for, but only when you arrive to test and pick up, so you can see it being opened and setup.

Prior to that I'd check with the manufacturer about whether the TV is expected to have a number of hours on it from factory testing, as otherwise you'll be expecting zero which may never happen.

Panasonic helpline 0844 844 3899
Never checked mine, as it was sealed and sold as new, so wouldn't know?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Then accept the graded TV, but explain that due to the last one having appeared to be a in used condition you'll require them to set it up in the showroom and display the number of hours it has been used for, but only when you arrive to test and pick up, so you can see it being opened and setup.

Prior to that I'd check with the manufacturer about whether the TV is expected to have a number of hours on it from factory testing, as otherwise you'll be expecting zero which may never happen.

Panasonic helpline 0844 844 3899
Never checked mine, as it was sealed and sold as new, so wouldn't know?
That does happen sometimes, other members have posted in confusion that after checking the hours there's more than there should be for a new set. 55 hours really isn't a long time and if anything has helped run the set in. OP you could check for IR by putting up a blank grey screen in a dark room. You may well see a little from your own use which is fine but its more ammo if there's other IR still present.

Very good idea to check in the shop too, Ive done this myself before.:smashin:

m11rphy

I have agreed to take tv on to store for them to look at, don't think it's a fair test a busy store is not the same as my quiet bedroom

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
If you only got the tv saturday then you have the right to return it for a full refund if its faulty.
within the first 28days.

m11rphy

scottthehat said:
If you only got the tv saturday then you have the right to return it for a full refund if its faulty.
within the first 28days.
Is that in law anywhere ?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
the_m0ney said:
Is that in law anywhere ?
No.
Its within reasonable amount of time.
Best to ask about there returns policy.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I purchased a panasonic vt50 from hyperfi in Romford on Saturday, I was told the tv was graded but was assured the only reason was due to a damaged box. I asked the salesman to confirm the tv hadn't been used and said I would be checking the hours on the panel when I got it home.

When I got the tv I checked and it had 55 hrs on it which I was very happy about but as I got a good deal thought I would let it go. However now I have discovered the tv has a annoying buzz when on a light background which is very loud. I can the store this morning and they are refusing a refund just a replacement hover they won't have stock for 2 weeks. Is there anyway I can force a refund ?
It's impossible for me to say whether or not the buzzing is normal. But if
it does turn out to be the normal plasma noise, it is a risk to exchange the
TV for one that may have other faults. I would say that, if it has no other
faults, it would be wise to think carefully before you act.

m11rphy

I don't think it is normal as I had pioneer before and it wasn't this loud. I'm gonna ask for a refund and pay the extra for a brand new one

Last edited:

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
I don't think it is normal as I had pioneer before and it wasn't this loud. I'm gonna ask for a refund and pay the extra for a brand new one
Go in and say that this tv is new as they said it was not used and say that it has excessive buzzing and you have had a few plasmas before and still have one know and that your not happy for a replacment. And if you have to kick up a fuss . What does it say on the receipt.

It's impossible for me to say whether or not the buzzing is normal. But if
it does turn out to be the normal plasma noise,.

Thats why I suggested to ask on the specific thread if it is the norm for this set...

vinny41

Go in and say that this tv is new as they said it was not used and say that it has excessive buzzing and you have had a few plasmas before and still have one know and that your not happy for a replacment. And if you have to kick up a fuss . What does it say on the receipt.
op was sold a graded set which he was aware of graded sets are sold at a discount they are never new
op should record noise levels either using a soundmeter or mobile phone while the sound from the tv channel is muted either through an a/v amp or tv sound system
you will recieve better aftersales service if you buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds downside is price of tv will cost more

Last edited: