1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I keep my 1:1 pixels if I move to HD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by slikvik, May 25, 2005.

1. slikvik

slikvik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SUBJECT: Can I keep my 1:1 pixels if I move to HD?

Hi

I will be upgrading my 4th Gen Panny Plasma to a 7th Gen Panny Plasma. The question is whether to go for the SD or HD version. I really want to go for the HD version but the res is 1024x768.

I really want 1:1 pixel mapping from my HTPC, but this will create a stumpy image. For DVD playback it's OK because there is a setting in the software. But I really want everything in and including Windows to display correctly.

Is there no software that will do this across the board?

I wish Powerstrip or the Video card drivers would have this implemented.

My other concern with going HD is when displaying a HD source (non-PC) which is 720p what will happen to the other 48 pixels (768 total pixels). I'm assuming that it will upscale and lose some image quality.

At the moment my plasma is 480 pixels and displays my HTPC in perfect 16:9 ratio/1:1 pixel mapping and my Gamecube in 480p perfectly. Any advice?

Background: I'm in the UK and have a combination of US and UK DVD's, a US Gamecube and Freeview.

Thanks

Vic

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Windows desktop is an unsolvable problem AFAIK, but TV and DVD software is no prob at all. Adding the extra 48 pixels, you won't notice any problem if your graphics card is up to the job. It's going to be way better than your 480 lines at the moment.

3. slikvik

slikvik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

My problem with using specific software options to fix this is the future proofing. From what I can see rectangular pixels my not be around too long (another reason I'm questioning buying one.) Certainly almost all LCD's screens have square pixels.

I am worried that over the next few years, lots of software may not bother with this anamorphic switch. Thats why I wanted to do a Windows wide conversion. Such a pain.

Regards

Vic

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I understand your viewpoint. I think XGA rectagular pixels are with us in plasma for the foressable future at 42". A square pixel 50" now the prices have plummeted might be an option? Less than you paid for the PW4 I shouldn't wonder...

5. slikvik

slikvik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL, Yeah I paid £3000 for the PW4 and I can now get the 50" for £2600. It was definately a consideration, but still, it's a lot more to be paying for an upgrade to my TV after only 3 Years (I think.) Even factoring in my Nan buying mine for £800!

I think I may just go for the SD PW7, I'm not sure how long HD will take over here anyway.

Thanks

Vic