1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I keep my 1:1 pixels if I move to HD?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by slikvik, May 25, 2005.

1. slikvik

slikvik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SUBJECT: Can I keep my 1:1 pixels if I move to HD?

Hi

I will be upgrading my 4th Gen Panny Plasma to a 7th Gen Panny Plasma. The question is whether to go for the SD or HD version. I really want to go for the HD version but the res is 1024x768.

I really want 1:1 pixel mapping from my HTPC, but this will create a stumpy image. For DVD playback it's OK because there is a setting in the software. But I really want everything in and including Windows to display correctly.

Is there no software that will do this across the board?

I wish Powerstrip or the Video card drivers would have this implemented.

My other concern with going HD is when displaying a HD source (non-PC) which is 720p what will happen to the other 48 pixels (768 total pixels). I'm assuming that it will upscale and lose some image quality.

At the moment my plasma is 480 pixels and displays my HTPC in perfect 16:9 ratio/1:1 pixel mapping and my Gamecube in 480p perfectly. Any advice?

Background: I'm in the UK and have a combination of US and UK DVD's, a US Gamecube and Freeview.

Thanks

Vic

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I've never understood why manufacturers offer 16:9 displays with pixel resolutions that are 4:3. I think with some programs you can tell it that it should treat the output as non-square but not sure exactly if that would solve your problem?