Question Can I install a projector screen or I'm wasting my time/money ?

muntos

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've finished my room redecoration moving from bookshelves to in-wall speakers, building a false wall for my 77" OLED.
Before buying the TV I was about to try a projector as main movies source but in the end I settled with the TV.
Now I'm thinking that I could enhance my setup in the future with a projector also !
Please see the attached picture with the actual setup.
For this I would need a rollable (manual or electric) screen that would roll over the TV and speakers.
I know little to nothing related to projectors and projectors screens but I think that the screen projector would need to be acoustic transparent to allow the sound behind.

So:
1) are there acoustic transparent rollable screens or only the fixed ones are acoustic transparent ? Or maybe I even don't need an acoustic transparent screen ?
2) I know that white is not the friend of projectors, do my actual setup has any chance of a good/decent picture quality or I wasting my money? I've made some calculation and the maximum screen size for the projector would be 100-105".
My room is white but I can control the light in the room and I always watch movies during night only.

IMG_20200222_224718.jpg

Hi

You would indeed need an acoustically transparent screen, and if your room is white you’ll need an ALR screen like a Draper React. Even if you can control the light in the room, when the image is bright those white walls will light up a lot so you’d definitely need a screen like the React to try and counteract that a bit.

Cheers

What about a curtain system?

Can the walls really not be painted? Don't have to be black, a dark grey would do.

What is the seating distance?

Budget?

Dimensions of room?

What about a curtain system?

Can the walls really not be painted? Don't have to be black, a dark grey would do.

What is the seating distance?

Budget?

Dimensions of room?

I don't think I could install such curtain system but it looks great, I will look into it ! Anyway in the left side I already have a curtain that blocks almost all the light.
Also, the walls I would like to paint them in a darker color but I'm afraid it would be impossible, as THE wife doesn't agree this.. :) :facepalm:

Seating distance: 2.5 meters / 8.2 ft
Room dimensions: 4.7m x 2.9m / 15.4ft x 9.5ft (length x wide)

Budget ? For the screen or for the projector ?
I don't know, I was about to buy a Sony VPL-VW270ES when I decided on the 77" LGC9, so maximum 4000 eur/usd let's say.
For the screen projector don't know either, first I have so see what I would need for a decent/good picture quality.

As mentioned, a ReACT (Drapper) screen would be best for such a white room, also if the screen is going to cover the speakers, you need a AT (acoustic transparent) screen.

I'd say also consider if it's worth the hassle for a 100" screen if you already have a 77"? The OLED will give a much nicer picture compares to the Sony 270ES.

Yes (related to if it's worth a 100" projector if I already have the 77" OLED), this is why I posted here, to get feedback from users that have more experience, experimented with both TVs and projectors and could give me invaluable tips, advises.
Like I said I never had a projector, never watched one in a HT setup, but I've read here and there that a TV can't reproduce the movie watching experience of a big screen...
I only went to see the 270ES in a showroom but I didn't liked the noise generated and also was pissed off when at the end I found out that the projector screen it was demoed had almost the price of the projector itself.. 😂

ReACT screens aren't cheap, about £2k for a 120" screen.

Also, check out the JVC N5 too, although that's more like £6k.

ReACT screens aren't cheap, about £2k for a 120" screen.

Well, I assume that for a 100" screen the price would be a little lower, I could live with a 1500 eur let's say. But I couldn't find exactly the manufacturer official website and from where I could buy it in Europe, I'm 100% sure I can't find it in my country (Romania).

Yes would be cheaper the smaller you get. ReACT are made by EuroScreen (sometimes called Drapper), they're based in Sweden. Suggest you email them and ask for a local reseller - Euroscreen ReAct 3.0

You could also consider the JVC x7900 (x790) which is discounted now, however there are some dealers still selling the last stock on ebay for £3.6k

Their website isn't the easiest to read, nor does it have pricing.

The screen surface you want is ReACT 3.0, and then they have screen like Thor/T, the T on the end means tab-tensioned... Worth finding someone local who you can call and talk too.

I don't think I could install such curtain system but it looks great, I will look into it ! Anyway in the left side I already have a curtain that blocks almost all the light.
Also, the walls I would like to paint them in a darker color but I'm afraid it would be impossible, as THE wife doesn't agree this.. :) :facepalm:

Seating distance: 2.5 meters / 8.2 ft
Room dimensions: 4.7m x 2.9m / 15.4ft x 9.5ft (length x wide)

Budget ? For the screen or for the projector ?
I don't know, I was about to buy a Sony VPL-VW270ES when I decided on the 77" LGC9, so maximum 4000 eur/usd let's say.
For the screen projector don't know either, first I have so see what I would need for a decent/good picture quality.

Usually you'd need to use the projector on a wall for a while to decide what screen size is appropriate.

A very general ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. That would result in a screen between 82 to 100".

Watching a movie in 2.35:1 or other cinemascope formats could be ok on a larger screen than 100", but it's very subjective.

It's very recommended you use a sheet or something to project on before deciding on a diagonal. Or another wall.

In the EU HiviLux makes AT ALR screens:

The ALR screens mentioned here require a throw ratio of 1.9x or higher in order not to display visual artifacts like hotspot and sparkle.
The artifacts could be very mild and would be mostly visible in white/bright scenes.

With a screen of 100" in 16:9 for instance the longest throw ratio in that room would be ~1.8x. The React3 screen has a recommended throw of 2.0x.

Drop down screens that are tensioned are also less likely to develop waves.

Personally I would never put a JVC projector in that room, regardless of screen. At most an Epson TW9400. The JVC's have great contrast and black level, and that would be severely affected in that room. Paying extra for the other picture quality features is too much IMO.

While you could move the current seating closer to the TV, the large screen effect will not be the same as with a projector. It's said that a screen with a diagonal of minimum 110" is required for that. After 110" increasing the diagonal and the seating from screen will be perceived similarly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-13 Visual TV Size Comparison 77 inch 16x9 display vs 100 inch 16x9 display.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks @noob0101 , if you look at the picture attached in the first post, I can't put any screen larger than the false wall, that is spanning on the entire wall next to the door. The wall length is around 265 cm / ~8.7 ft, and if I correctly calculated this would mean a maximum 100" screen size, depending on the left/right borders and screen body case length compared to the screen...

Thanks @noob0101 , if you look at the picture attached in the first post, I can't put any screen larger than the false wall, that is spanning on the entire wall next to the door. The wall length is around 265 cm / ~8.7 ft, and if I correctly calculated this would mean a maximum 100" screen size, depending on the left/right borders and screen body case length compared to the screen...

If the screen has no border it may be difficult to get it aligned properly. The border helps hide imperfect alignment.

If the wall length is 265cm, minus 5cm border x2 = 255cm

255 width screen is ~115".

I think a 120" would be fine, even if it sticks out a bit, it's just during when it's being played.

But even with a screen of 100" there might be a minor hotspot, in the brightest scenes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom