Can I install a More Powerful CPU

laserbeam

My wife little Samsung Netbook has a Intel Atom N270 Processor.As the Netbook has never been really fast was just wondering if it was possible to change the CPU.
The Netbook is a Samsung N130.I believe the CPU has been clocked at 1.6 Ghz

MacrosTheBlack

No. The system is designed for that CPU and it's NEVER worth trying to upgrade CPU's in laptops as you can't adjust cooling as necessary, plus the BIOS might not support it.

Laptop's too slow, simple, buy a faster one and then sell the old one to recover a little bit off the cost.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As far as I'm aware all the atoms use BGA packages, which means they're soldered to the motherboard at about five hundred contact points so it's not a viable option to replace it even if you wanted to try.

laserbeam

Thanks for all the replies my wife has decided to give the laptop to our grandson and get a replacement.It will do him to learn on and change it in a year or so.

majorwedgy

No. The system is designed for that CPU and it's NEVER worth trying to upgrade CPU's in laptops as you can't adjust cooling as necessary, plus the BIOS might not support it.

Laptop's too slow, simple, buy a faster one and then sell the old one to recover a little bit off the cost.

Just simply not true, it is possible to get a faster CPU that runs cooler than the old slower unit. The key is research. In the case of your atom it is soldered to the motherboard but in the case of standard 'i' processors and old core 2 upgrading CPU is great value upgrade:)

MacrosTheBlack

Just simply not true, it is possible to get a faster CPU that runs cooler than the old slower unit. The key is research. In the case of your atom it is soldered to the motherboard but in the case of standard 'i' processors and old core 2 upgrading CPU is great value upgrade:)

Not saying you can't. Just saying it's, IMO, not worth the hassle and it's easier to replace a slow CPU laptop with a faster laptop. If you want a speed boost from upgrading ram and swapping to an SSD then those are realistic options.

Also the OP is VERY non-technical, swapping a CPU would be a bad move for him.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom