Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

can i improve signal on wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by hammy2891, Sep 10, 2004.

1. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there a way to improve the signal on my wireless network without moving my htpc,i am using a belkin modem/router & belkin pci card any help would be appreciated from you guys :lease:

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Does the Belkin modem/router have an external antenna ?
    If it does you could get an antenna for it with more gain .
    If the positions are always fixed, you could get a highly directional aerial (yagi or "cantenna" , the latter being quite easy to self construct).
    Same applies to the PCI card - you may be able to add a pigtail and better antenna to it
    What is the full model number of both pieces of WLAN kit ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both modem/router & pci are 802.11g and yes the pci card has an antenna but it cant be extended to be put in a more receptive area.is there an extention cable you can get using the same card and aeriel?
    only set up the network tonight so i haven't really tried any other positions yet,the htpc can't be moved that far anyway.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Please state the model of your PCI card and router.
    A quick Google search seems to show an external antenna connector on the F5D7000 PCI card.
    Judging by its size I would expect it to be a reverse SMA
    type (RP-SMA).
    If it is, you should be able to unscrew the antenna and connect a better one.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm in work so i hope this is right
    pci is f5d7000uk
    modem/router is f5d7630uk4a
    it does have a aeriel you can unscrew so i would have thought an upgraded aeriel could be a possibility

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest: Are you asking this question because you cannot connect wirelessly? I'd be surprised if the range isn't satisfactory for you needs.

I just wondered, when you say "only set up the network tonight " whether you had the network configured correctly?

Dave

7. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Belkin's own website shows this add-on antenna:

link

This is their whole 802.11g product range:
    link

There could be third party cheaper antennas, though, the connector is an SMA reverse male connector.

8. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just found that link as well.i think i'm gonna have to spend ahother £25
    the reason i get such a bad signal is i have the htpc in a spare room upstairs which is part of the extension,it has 15" walls,a concrete floor and couldnt be any further away from the router. :hiya:

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Yes, you have the card that I quoted in my last post.
    You could buy a short pigtail (e.g. from www.solwise.co.uk) to adapt from the RP-SMA socket to a standard N-type or SMA (non Reverse-polarised) connector.
    Then you could build a cantenna. I built 2 of these and they can be knocked up in hlaf-an-hour or so.
    A Google search for "cantenna AND build" gets lots of hits.
    I tested mine the other day (using a laptop with Buffalo PCMCIA WLAN card and Netstumbler software).
    I am getting around 14-15 dB gain.

Here's a UK website with some cantenna info :
    http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/cantenna2/cantenna_mark_2.htm

Whisky tins, large SMA baby food tins and the like work quite well.
    Mine use a Fox's cookie tin (similar dimensions to whisky tin) and a Nescafe best beans can.

10. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    if you've got a concrete floor to contend with I'd go for for something like the

NET-WL-ANT010PN from www.solwise.co.uk

you can get right through 2 houses with one of these so should do the job :devil: , you'll also need the adapter cable PIG-RSMAPNPLUG100 if you choose this option..

Would be fun to try the homemade option first though, depends how much you like tinkering...

11. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the info guys great stuff.think i'll try the belkin extension aeriel in the earlier link first and see how i get on with that before i try anything more drastic. i will let you all know how i get on with it when it arrives.
    by the way i have downloaded sp2 and it seems to have improved the signal a bit but not enough for a decent data transfer speed,don't know if that was a coincidence or what

12. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hammy, before you spend any money - have you tried changing the wireless channel number of the router from the default and try some other values ?

Sometimes you can improve reception by trying other channel numbers.

It's in the "CHANNEL and SSID" link on the left of the router configuration html-page. Use the "Wireless channel" drop-down and try some other values. You will probably have to reboot the router for the change to take effect.

13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Good point that.
    Results can be affected by other local 2.4 GHz ISM band users' transmissions - like other local WLAN users or APs, bluetooth gear and DECT phones.

14. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great idea ut how do i get to the "router configuration html-page"if its the address 192.168.2.1 i just get aol search up with loads of sites,which site is it ? most sites wont even open ! :blush:

15. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are on the right tracks.

I think the default for a Belkin is 192.168.1.254

Is it not in the manual for the router ?

Go into Control Panel, Network Connections and you will see an entry/icon for your PCI wireless network card.

Click on it to open the "Staus" box and then click on the "support" tab.

There will be an entry for the IP of the PCI card in your PC and the router will have the same first three IP numbers but the last number could be anything between 0-255

So if you see your network card has an IP of 192.168.1.7 then the wireless router will have an IP between 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 ( except 7 because that is your network card's IP )

If you can't find the IP in the router manual you will just have to try to http:// to all the different combinations and one will work. When you find the right IP -> WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE!

You may also be asked to input a password to change the channel number. I think the default password is blank for a Belkin router so just leave the password box blank and click "submit". If you or someone has changed it from blank and you don't know what it is, then there may be a procedure in the manual to reset the router to factory defaults BUT THIS MAY SCREW UP YOUR NETWORK AS I HAVE NO IDEA OF YOUR EXACT SETUP - if you do this and end up with no wireless connection you will be stuffed and have to do a complete de-install/re-install of your wireless networking.

16. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice but i think i'll wait and try the new aeriel
    just found these on ebayAERIELSdownload the catalogue, if any one is interested in getting one as well

17. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    received the aeriel tues but i've been on a course all week so unable to get back to you guys sooner.now all up and running and what a difference can't believe moving the aeriel made this much difference.have now gone from a very low signal (sometimes none at all) to a very good signal with no drop off of connection at all "well happy" :clap:

18. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    My Belkin wireless router uses 192.168.2.1 by default, but I'm not sure of the model.