1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I hook up a LCD TV to my PC like a regular monitor?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by fuc847, Sep 20, 2004.

1. fuc847

fuc847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done some reading on this, but jsut to make sure... Will a LCD TV work exactly same as a LCD monitor made for PC if the LCD TV has "pc input" (like the VGA connector that plugs into ur PC tower)? I"m wantiing to get a LCD tv as a pc lcd monitor because the biggest size for normal PC LCDs are about 21 inch. Where as LCD tvs are much bigger.

Also, I noticed that when I look at LCD TV specs, they usually dont tell you the Response Time (ms) spec all the time. But when buying LCD for PC , this spec is usually VERY important to know...

One more thing,. I want an LCD mainly for its "eye friendlyness" in that it doesnt produce any EM radiation. I know that PC LCDs dont emit any for sure, but do the LCD Tv emit any..?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can use an LCD TV just as you say. They are identical to monitors apart from the TV tuner and video inputs, though there are now some super size monitors too, up to 40", from Iiyama and NEC amongst others, and Sharp do a 37". These are spin offs from the TV's, they just cut off the tuners. Low radiation certainly, response times are now typically around 16ms, OK for all but the fastest games I think. You should be able to get this figure from the manufacturers web site, and if they don't publish it you have to assume the worst, ie that will rule out a bundle of the cheaper guys who can't be bothered to supply the info. The makes I have mentioned all provide a full spec, for monitors and TV's. Do you actually want TV functions, or was it just size that you wanted?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Response times should be fine for PC use. Most 'normal' PC monitors are 25ms response times, whereas most 'normal' LCD TVs are 16ms. Some budget ones are 25, so keep an eye out if thats important, but its still only as slow as standard PC monitors.

The other thing to look out for, especially recently, is panel resolution. You want a hires panel - standard resolutions are 1280x720, 1280x768 and some 1366x768.

Some recent TVs from Sharp and Panasonic are using low res panels (640x480, or 854x480). I guess from a cost reduction point of view, but they'd be no good for a PC monitor. I'm not even sure if they have a PC input, but just thought it worth raising the point.

I'm doing this too, and am currently looking closely at the hitachi 22LD4200. Seems a good, sound screen, which can be had for about £620.

Or jump up to a 28" screen for about £1k (Hitachi 28LD5200) or medion/dabs 30" screen