Can I have Sky HD only?

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have searched for the answer to this, but can't find one. Can I cancel my Sky packages but keep HD at £10 per month and receive all of the HD channels?

I have searched for the answer to this, but can't find one. Can I cancel my Sky packages but keep HD at £10 per month and receive all of the HD channels?
I am pretty sure the answer is - definitely not!

Some people claimed to get offered this (in very special sets of circumstances only) some time ago - but not recently!

No, your HD Subscription mirrors your SD one, so cancelling your basic Sky mix will exclude you from getting any HD channels other than the FTA/FTV ones.

ATB

Max

Thanks guys, I thought that would be the case. Apart from the HD channels I seldom, if ever, watch anything else from Sky. The minimum 'mix' is an expensive way just to watch Sky HD and Sky News! I watch BBC and C4 HD mainly.

Well if you cancel Sky completely you'll still get BBC HD, CH4 HD and Sky News! Isn't that what you want? :smashin:

ATB

Max

A Sky HD subscription gets you the following channels:

Sky One HD, Sky Arts HD, History HD, Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, FX HD and Rush HD. If you subscribe to Sky Movies as well, you will get three HD movie channels. If you subscribe to Sky Sports as well, you will get three HD sports channels.

By the sounds of it you don't watch (or want to watch) any of these channels anyway. So why not cancel Sky completely?

If you don't subscribe to Sky (HD or otherwise) but have a Sky HD box, you will get BBC HD, C4HD and Luxe HD along with various SD channels. Sky News is subscription free on both satellite and Freeview.

A Sky HD subscription gets you the following channels:

Sky One HD, Sky Arts HD, History HD, Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, FX HD and Rush HD. If you subscribe to Sky Movies as well, you will get three HD movie channels. If you subscribe to Sky Sports as well, you will get three HD sports channels.

By the sounds of it you don't watch (or want to watch) any of these channels anyway. So why not cancel Sky completely?

If you don't subscribe to Sky (HD or otherwise) but have a Sky HD box, you will get BBC HD, C4HD and Luxe HD along with various SD channels. Sky News is subscription free on both satellite and Freeview.
O come on man, Sky One HD, Sky Arts HD and the three Sky Sports HD channels show very little in the way of HD content so calling them a channel is being far too generous. The documentary channels are on an endless loop and there are a fair few films that are over five years old.

Hang on, haven't we had this discussion before.:hiya:

Plans for my roundabout channel are well advanced. It's going to look like this but absoloutley mint in HD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/webcams/civic_drive_roundabout_webcam.shtml

The documentary channels are on an endless loop and there are a fair few films that are over five years old.

Have to say that I dont agree with you on that respect. The documentary channels are not an endless loop at all. Different content on everyday and all great quality.

As for the movies, what does it matter if they are over 5 years old? As has been said before Zulu, Italian Job has some of the best quality seen of any HD movie broadcast.

Have to say that I dont agree with you on that respect. The documentary channels are not an endless loop at all. Different content on everyday and all great quality.

As for the movies, what does it matter if they are over 5 years old? As has been said before Zulu, Italian Job has some of the best quality seen of any HD movie broadcast.
They might be different every day but inevitably you turn on a few weeks later and you see old familiar faces.

Yes Zulu probably looked good and it is after all a cinematic classic. How did you find Mrs Doubtfire:D

They might be different every day but inevitably you turn on a few weeks later and you see old familiar faces.

Yes Zulu probably looked good and it is after all a cinematic classic. How did you find Mrs Doubtfire:D

No more so then they show the same things on all of the Discoverys/History/Nat Geo etc.

As for Mrs Doubtfire having not seen it in a few years thought it was good to watch it again. I dont only watch 'new' films, and I didn't get Sky movies to watch only new movies, i love older films just as much. If you only got Sky for the premiers then your not making full use of it.

O come on man, Sky One HD, Sky Arts HD and the three Sky Sports HD channels show very little in the way of HD content so calling them a channel is being far too generous. The documentary channels are on an endless loop and there are a fair few films that are over five years old.

Hang on, haven't we had this discussion before.:hiya:

Plans for my roundabout channel are well advanced. It's going to look like this but absoloutley mint in HD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/webcams/civic_drive_roundabout_webcam.shtml

I've have the discussion with you before too, it was pretty obvious to me that you didn't watch Sky HD or BBC HD. Your decision to cancel was the right thing to do. Pay TV is obviously the wrong choice for you IMHO.

ATB

Max

Thanks guys, I thought that would be the case. Apart from the HD channels I seldom, if ever, watch anything else from Sky. The minimum 'mix' is an expensive way just to watch Sky HD and Sky News! I watch BBC and C4 HD mainly.
i think you are wrong fella,s.ive just cancelled 2 standard mixes and kept just sky hd/sky+ for £20 per mnth.go straight to cancelations and say you are cancelling your subs and you may be suprised at what they may offer you.:)

P.s let us know if anybody get's a better deal than me,i still think that hd/sky+ is the biggest rip off of the 21st century:devil:

I've have the discussion with you before too, it was pretty obvious to me that you didn't watch Sky HD or BBC HD. Your decision to cancel was the right thing to do. Pay TV is obviously the wrong choice for you IMHO.

ATB

Max
No, you're wrong.

Pay too much TV is not the right choice for me.

I was quite happy paying them £22.50 for the last six months for Sky Sports, a couple of mixes and HD. Doubling it to £45 was the problem I had with it.

No, you're wrong.

Pay too much TV is not the right choice for me.

I was quite happy paying them £22.50 for the last six months for Sky Sports, a couple of mixes and HD. Doubling it to £45 was the problem I had with it.

Well the price hasn't doubled as far as I know! :confused:

ATB

Max

Well the price hasn't doubled as far as I know! :confused:

ATB

Max
I threatened to leave six months ago as I knew fine well that a number of people had done the same and got various half price offers. Sure enough I got six months of sports plus a couple of mixes for £17.50 per month. I also got a £30 credit to my account to bring the HD down to an equivalent £5 per month for that same period.

Perhaps the person I spoke to this time was having a bad day and couldn't be arsed to go through the charade of offering me a special deal or perhaps the rumour that you could get it extended each time simply isn't true.

Perhaps the person I spoke to this time was having a bad day and couldn't be arsed to go through the charade of offering me a special deal or perhaps the rumour that you could get it extended each time simply isn't true.

You had your bluff called then?

i think you are wrong fella,s.ive just cancelled 2 standard mixes and kept just sky hd/sky+ for £20 per mnth.go straight to cancelations and say you are cancelling your subs and you may be suprised at what they may offer you.:)

P.s let us know if anybody get's a better deal than me,i still think that hd/sky+ is the biggest rip off of the 21st century:devil:

So can you explain why you continue to pay £10 a month for something you consider to be a 'rip off'? :confused:

Perhaps we have a different definition of what a 'rip off' is.

You can watch BBC HD, CH4 HD & LUXE HD for free!

ATB

Max

I threatened to leave six months ago as I knew fine well that a number of people had done the same and got various half price offers. Sure enough I got six months of sports plus a couple of mixes for £17.50 per month. I also got a £30 credit to my account to bring the HD down to an equivalent £5 per month for that same period.

Well as you consider £45 a month, that's £1.45 a day, too much to pay for entertainment, I stand by my original point that you were right to cancel, Pay TV isn't for you.

In other threads you have made it obvious that you don't watch TV, or you would have known that Sky have commissioned some quality TV programs and that BBC HD is primarily four hours of HD repeats a day.

Freesat will give you a 'value for money' experience as it's free!

ATB

Max

The HD sub of £10 per month will be dropped next year according to Sky. I was told this although im not taking it as red.

It makes sense as alternatives to Sky are now appearing (even though they cannot compete with Sky really)

Well as you consider £45 a month, that's £1.45 a day, too much to pay for entertainment, I stand by my original point that you were right to cancel, Pay TV isn't for you.

In other threads you have made it obvious that you don't watch TV, or you would have known that Sky have commissioned some quality TV programs and that BBC HD is primarily four hours of HD repeats a day.

Freesat will give you a 'value for money' experience as it's free!

ATB

Max
Go on then, give me an extensive list of quality programmes that Sky have commissioned. I'll try and match you with programmes that have been commissioned by non pay channels.

As a person who is currently in the process of getting HD i have looked at what Sky can offer and my reason for opting for their HD service is due mainly to the Football, WWE (for the kids) and some of the movies. Im also looking forward to some of the natural history programs. IMO freesat cannot compete with Sky for what i want to view.

Go on then, give me an extensive list of quality programmes that Sky have commissioned. I'll try and match you with programmes that have been commissioned by non pay channels.

I've already given you a list of several, I could give you more, but you won't have watched them so what's the point? I don't want to persuade you not to cancel, you don't fit the Pay TV model and you're right to cancel.

ATB

Max

As a person who is currently in the process of getting HD i have looked at what Sky can offer and my reason for opting for their HD service is due mainly to the Football, WWE (for the kids) and some of the movies. Im also looking forward to some of the natural history programs. IMO freesat cannot compete with Sky for what i want to view.
I think it's worthwhile getting it for a year just to see how it fits. Not the best time of year to get it for the football though. If you support one of the 'top four' then you will be well served. The films are great as well, until you realise that some of them seem to be forever popping up on the planner. Personally I wouldn't let my kids(if they were at that age) watch the wrestling. While adults (hopefully) recognise that it is a pantomine young kids don't see it that way. One of my nephews was obsessed with it and while acting out one of the moves managed to break his arm.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom