Can I have normal tv or do I have to pay for a virgin media package with tv

Aliceclaire

Novice Member
Hi,

sorry if this is a really silly question!
im moving into a new flat and this is the current set up (see photo).
I’m trying to figure if I will have to go with virgin media for a tv/wifi package due to this set up.
1. Will I have to have cable due to this VM box? As opposed to plugging into a standard wall Ariel socket.
2. will I have to go with virgin media for wifi?

thank you!

Attachments

• EC208DC2-26C9-4F3F-98EF-B6E2900DBF47.jpeg
    EC208DC2-26C9-4F3F-98EF-B6E2900DBF47.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 40

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Not overly sure about flats but I suspect yes for the second and the first question , is that the only connection where the lead is coming from ?

Aliceclaire

Novice Member
Yes unfortunately.
They were meant to remove that box and put in a standard wall socket but it seems they have just attached an Ariel cable to that box!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Speak to the landlord. Just like conventional homes, flats will have a VM cable outlet, but this isn't to say you cannot also have a terrestrial antenna either already there or one fitted to that building. This doesn't mean that you have to subscribe to Virgin Media in order to get TV . there may or should be a conventional TV aerial on that building or you may need to have one put up for use with that particular flat? Neither are you constrained as to where you obtain your BB and internet provision. You are free to get this via whatever means you decide would be best for you. No, you don't have to use Virgin Media.

Last edited:

winston2010

Yes unfortunately.
They were meant to remove that box and put in a standard wall socket but it seems they have just attached an Ariel cable to that box!
It is not Ariel that is washing powder. You need an aerial. Ask your landlord for one or move somewhere else. It is just possible if your TV is compatible with DVB-C you may be able to get the 5 main channels from the Virgin Media cable.

Wi-Fi or broadband usually comes down your phone line which can be from many providers,

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom