Can I have a Wii on my projector?

T

Tommy Angelo

Appologies for the title, I couldn't help myself.

I have a projector and shoulder height is about a foot from the top of the screen. Take a look at my room in the link in my sig.

Does anyone know if it will be practical to use a Wii with this screen?

Thanks

Andrew

How big is the screen area that you project onto? I'm hearing that some people are having trouble with larger screens, things like the cursor not working all the way to the edges etc though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Hi.
Same projector here (current temporary setup @ parents house):

Whenever I've stuck a computer/video games console on it, it's worked fine.

The only issue may be the cord length for the sender bar.....but you can always easily make one yourself or use a couple of candles...

:)

How big is the screen area that you project onto? I'm hearing that some people are having trouble with larger screens, things like the cursor not working all the way to the edges etc though I'm not 100% sure on that.

I really really hope thats not true!
I have a 100" diagnol screen for my PJ and am awaiting my component cable until i can try it out on that! I guess i will find out soon enough!

Everything works fine. The only problem you might find is that you could be in the beam when standing to play tennis, etc.
My PJ is high enough for this not to happen.
The edge of screen innacuracy thing is an absolute impossibility - it would happen on any screen size as you're not actually pointing at the screen, you're pointing at the sensor bar. The Wii does not know or care how big your screen is.
If someone is having pointer problems it's nothing to do with the screen size.

I have a 92" screen and sit 4.5m away, the only problem I had was the sensitivity of the sensor bar which I had to adjust to setting 3 so it would pick up the wii remote properly.

Other than that it works a treat and now I've got my component cable the pic is great.

Everything works fine. The only problem you might find is that you could be in the beam when standing to play tennis, etc.
My PJ is high enough for this not to happen.
The edge of screen innacuracy thing is an absolute impossibility - it would happen on any screen size as you're not actually pointing at the screen, you're pointing at the sensor bar. The Wii does not know or care how big your screen is.
If someone is having pointer problems it's nothing to do with the screen size.

this is very true, tho it baffles me how it knows when your not pointing at the screen :eek: (magic perhaps?)

i played it on my bro's projector, only issues i found was that the pointer was less stable and would shake around alot

its not magic, it calculates position based on IR signals (from the sensor bar)

given that for a screen that sie you should be a sensible distance from it then the remote will still be able to see the sensor bar if/when you adjust the sensitivity

given that for a screen that sie you should be a sensible distance from it then the remote will still be able to see the sensor bar if/when you adjust the sensitivity

yes i know that :rolleyes: all im saying is that if i sit 5ft from my 42" plasma and 5ft from my bro's 100" projector screen, how does the wii know when you are out of bounds on the plasma and not on the projector... exactly its magic... black magic dare i say :eek:

I dont think it needs to know if its out of bounds or not. Notice what happens when you point past your screen, the pointer doesnt snap to the edges, it keeps going. You just can't see it anymore because your screen isnt wide/tall enough.

Oh you fools :)
Our chimp brains are so easily fooled. You're not pointing past the screen - you're pointing past where the Wii thinks that your screen might be.

I dont think it needs to know if its out of bounds or not. Notice what happens when you point past your screen, the pointer doesnt snap to the edges, it keeps going. You just can't see it anymore because your screen isnt wide/tall enough.

yea im aware of that, just it sometimes says your not pointing at the screen when your just slightly off and its incredibly accurate

as to the actual title of this topic.

It is not recommended, water and electrics dont mix well and you risk fire and electricution :D

if my sensor bar is WELL in front of my projected image, does this make a difference at all? ive put the sensor bar close to me because the cable doesn't stretch that far from the wii, and i've put it on top of a little table. When I use it with the TV it's on top of the TV ...

also something i've noticed ... the little wii menu things are AMAZINGLY easy to navigate now im using the WII with my projector - like WAY more easily controllable and responsive than when i used the wii with my tv. the sensor bar i about the same distance away from me as when i use it with my tv as well.

How dare you. OF COURSE it's magic

(next you'll be saying father christmas doesn't exist :rolleyes: )

Sounds like most of your Rigs are different to mine. I have my Wii rigging into my AV system so I can use the TV or projector depending on how I'm feeling. The Wii is next to the TV so I just have to move the sensor bar between the two screens.

The problem I have is I would like to use a component cable but I'd need to run three long cables as I currently have a single composite lead to get the signal to the projector.

Has anyone else run a long component lead?

mine works fine with the projector :smashin: I stand behind the projector so I am not in the way of the beam.

the golf is ace like a virtual golf simulator, cant wait for tiger woods to come out, will be superb on the big screen.

I took my Wii to a friends this weekend who has a projector on a 7' screen and it was perfect.

His projector is mounted on the ceiling, so we could actually stand a little in front of it without casting a shadow.

For the sensor bar, I simply used to Tea-Light candles on a table, just below the bottom of the screen and it was fine..

Infact, I was quite jealous.. Bowling on a screen this large is wonderful!

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom