Can I have a drop down projector screen going not straight down

sm2501

Novice Member
Reaction score
We are looking to install a home theatre into a living room that we are in the process of building as part of a renovation. We want a drop-down projection screen. I asked the designers to ensure this was possible and they said it was. We’ve got a bay window, and now that the room is built we've got the trusses to support the bay window roof right where we want to put the projection screen!

You can see the situation here. The yellow line is where I want screen to be, and the blue line is where it has to be currently (note only 350mm between these trusses even though it is not indicated on the plan that way)
1623105469551.png

The problem with that is it will come down in the middle of a couch that will be placed beside the window (marked in purple).

It has been suggested we could have it coming up from the floor but that's not really an option because we have small children that would place things into it 😊 We can't put it directly on the ceiling for a couple of reasons – the ceiling is only 2380 high and we have a nice view and we don't want to disturb that view.

So really looking for ideas of how we can solve this?

Our builder has suggested that we could get a screen that is longer than usual and basically set up like the picture below:
1623105568497.png

The blue bits are the trusses, the yellow bit is the projection screen with motor, orange is the screen. And then we would run the screen down further towards the bay window, (using rollers if necessary) coming out of the ceiling at the right point. Everyone we’ve talked to doesn’t seem to think this is possible. Being based in New Zealand there are a limited number of products that we can access in this market.

Has anyone had to solve a problem like this before? Is there any way that we can do what we want?

Thanks,
Stefan

You can use a roller to move a screen drop position a few inches, but I doubt it would work smoothly over multiple rollers as indicated. The amount of weight required to make it work smoothly would likely overcome the motor or gearbox.

Can the roof trusses be cut into and reinforced with plates to give you a recess?

I agree with NB, not only will the weight and direction cause a problem, the rollers will be rolling on the projection side of the screen.

Your first point of issue is your architect / designer not designing in what you needed. So throw it back to them first.

I am assuming the bay window is a pitched roof. So in theory you could notch the current ceiling joists and place an additional timber 'leg' directly on top of each cut one to provide the required structural integrity*

*i am not an architect or a structural engineer, i would maybe suggest that those that cocked it up in the first place instruct and pay for one to confirm that this could be done.

You can use a roller to move a screen drop position a few inches, but I doubt it would work smoothly over multiple rollers as indicated. The amount of weight required to make it work smoothly would likely overcome the motor or gearbox.

Can the roof trusses be cut into and reinforced with plates to give you a recess?
Thanks. I'll check, but you just about have to cut the whole thing out as the trusses are 240 mm high, and I think the projector screen unit is about 250mm high :) But I will check. Builders didn't seem to indicate this was possible

Rollers - that will never work/keep working.

Architect - as above go back and ask them to alter the design to your specifications, someone messed up; it is their job to sort it.

Loudspeakers - where are they going?

Joe

Rollers - that will never work/keep working.

Architect - as above go back and ask them to alter the design to your specifications, someone messed up; it is their job to sort it.

Loudspeakers - where are they going?

Joe
Speakers are going on the ceiling. Plan is for 3 front speakers, 2 atmos speakers and 2 rear speakers.

Thanks,
Stefan

Immersive (Atmos) requires separation between the overhead and the ‘bed’ later - the Front LCR and Surround speakers should be mounted at, or close to, your seated ear height if you want to benefit from the immersive channels.

If you stick with a 5.1 or 7.1 system the Front LCR and Surrounds ‘can’ work with speakers designed for that type of installation (though still a bit of a compromise), you would use ‘Rear’ channels in a 7.1 system.

Maybe time to rethink the layout!

Joe

Immersive (Atmos) requires separation between the overhead and the ‘bed’ later - the Front LCR and Surround speakers should be mounted at, or close to, your seated ear height if you want to benefit from the immersive channels.

If you stick with a 5.1 or 7.1 system the Front LCR and Surrounds ‘can’ work with speakers designed for that type of installation (though still a bit of a compromise), you would use ‘Rear’ channels in a 7.1 system.

Maybe time to rethink the layout!

Joe
Thanks. Yes, the layout isn't as good as it could be. The initial plan the home theatre design company came up with had front speakers in the front (bay window) walls with an acoustically transparent screen. But unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me put speakers in the walls there :-( So we will end up with something imperfect.

At this point I'll be lucky if I can even get a screen in the room at all. The builders think the trusses will need to come out and be completely rebuilt. So the whole thing may become completely unaffordable. Very frustrating.

Stefan

Revising the seating/room layout may be your better option if you wish to put some form of projected (or direct view) image into the room.

Joe

The initial plan the home theatre design company came up with had front speakers in the front (bay window) walls with an acoustically transparent screen. But unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me put speakers in the walls there :-(

Not sure what speakers you were looking but you can get in-walls with near invisible covers/grills that you can paint to match the walls.

Not a recommendation as such, but the images on this page give an indication of how much you can make in-walls disappear. Having in-walls behind a AT screen would be by far the better route — but then I expect you know that already!

Speakers are going on the ceiling. Plan is for 3 front speakers, 2 atmos speakers and 2 rear speakers.

Thanks,
Stefan
Forget the Atmos speakers, simply will not work for the reasons that Joe has outlined. Even then all speakers in the ceiling is going to be big compromise and is a lifestyle choice rather than one that involves good immersive audio.

Is it too late to investigate inwall or on wall speakers. Even the diminutive KEF T Series would be a far better option than all those ceiling speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom