Can I have 2 x Sky HD boxes

milgo123

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have Sky multi room (HD is the main account and Sky+) in another room. I have just purchased another HD TV so would like to take advantage of Sky HD by replacing the SKY+ with another HD unit. Now doing this via the Sky website will cost me £199 one-off payment + £10.25p extra per month subscription. My thinking is that it would be more cost effective for me to purchase a second hand HD box and simply remove the Sky+ box and replace it with HD then approach Sky for a new HD card therefore just paying Sky the extra £10.25 monthly subscription. Does what I have said sound feasible or am I missing something? Thanks.

You can get plenty of new HD receivers for less than £199, and plenty more second hand ones below that.
Get one, maybe on AVF selling forum, call Sky to tell them you want to pay another £10.25, and they'll get your subscription HD channels working right away on the present multiroom viewing card.

am I missing something?

Only the fact that you won't need a new card - just have the HD Pack activated on your multiroom card at the same time as you get the card and the HD box paired.

You can get plenty of new HD receivers for less than £199, and plenty more second hand ones below that.
Get one, maybe on AVF selling forum, call Sky to tell them you want to pay another £10.25, and they'll get your subscription HD channels working right away on the present multiroom viewing card.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look on the seeling forum as you have suggested for a 2nd hand Sky HD box.

Can I hijack this post to ask if you have an HD box installed for only SD Sky+ in a second room, can you access the free to view (or air, whichever one it is) HD channels on it?

Thanks, S.

Free channels are free whatever you watch them on, so the answer is yes.
Your card for the SD channels should also get you the FSFS HD channels that are not totally free.

This was going to be a reply for a rather old post (on this subject) but I think that people may find it interesting none the less as it happened only a couple of months ago.

My system up till a month ago was a Sony 36HQ100 (36" CRT) TV, a std Panasonic Digibox and a Thompson SKY+160.
So in preparation for my new HD TV, (Sony 46HX903), I decided I would like a 1TB HD box.
However IF you get an HD box they wouldn't give you another for free.
(But the 250GB HD box as an (HD) first time upgrade, would be free).

So I rang them and discussed the process, thinking I would have to order the free box first, (self install) and then after maybe a month, order the 1TB box (for £249).
The SKY operator assured me - several times - that I did not need to order the boxes one at a time and could order them both at once; (one free and one £249, both on a self install _ I'm an Electronics & Comms Engineer). So that seemed a good result.

Anyway next day (only) the 1TB box arrived.
Rang up SKY and was told as I already had an HD box I was now not eligible for the free one.
> > > Light blue touch paper & stand back !!!!!!!

Well in the end, I had to email the SKY Customer Service Team telling them that they had broken the verbal contract to supply both boxes and that this would be detailed on a transcript of the original conversation. Result after about 5 hours, an email agreeing to give me the free box, but on an Engineer's visit. A few days later a trainnee SKY "Engineer" arrived to give me the free 250GB box. Phew.

Moral of this story is that you should plan for the worst case scenario with SKY.
They operate under very odd business practices, (to say the least).

Next problem - controlling each HD box, (both under the same TV), so that each can be controlled individually.
Now THAT's another story.

Terry Toye
Dorset.

As an engineer yourself you're generous to allow the Sky boy the word at ll, even in inverted commas.
Did you let him do his "installation", what did it consist of, and is it a job that requires an engineer?

As an engineer yourself you're generous to allow the Sky boy the word at ll, even in inverted commas.
Did you let him do his "installation", what did it consist of, and is it a job that requires an
engineer?

Unfortunately, in the UK, as most of the general public are Technically ignorant, (& its getting worse), anyone who does any job a bit technical gets called an Engineer.
This filters down in a way that means in UK, proper Engineers have lower social standing than

Doctors & Lawers AND get paid much less as well. On the Continent, this isn't the case.

As my house is in an awkward position, I have on the front of the house, one 80cm dish for 13 & 19deg and on the back (for (28deg), is a (non-SKY) 60cm dish with a Technomate 0.1db Octal LNB.
I had already installed (& checked on my SKY+) all the coaxes to the TV so when the SKY guy came, all he had to do was connect the two HD boxes up and do the Software update
Even then he was having a few 'ring-up his supervisor' problems !!

I am close to retirement and have worked in Communications in the Forces for 24yrs followed by the last 22yrs as a Design & Development Engineer, (Electronics & EMC).

What is required of the SKY Installer, is some basic Mechanical skills for his Dish & cabling, and detailed PRACTICAL knowledge of the SKY boxes and their User Interface.
Therefore, I see the knowledge and work requirement of the SKY Installer, as that of a junior Technician.
The theoretical knowledge associated with a real Engineer, such as in Mathematics, Laplace Transforms and Fouriers analysis, etc, which are necessary in all forms of Engineering, will be absent, but not actually required by a Sky Installer - or even for almost all Electricians.

The bottom line is that for almost all of SKY's Customers, who are technically ignorant, the Installer will be seen as technically adept, no matter how little engineering knowledge he really has.

Terry Toye

I regularly correct posts referring to "Sky engineers", and often get criticised for doing so.
Your detailed comments give me the confidence to continue in the campaign!

Your detailed comments give me the confidence to continue in the campaign!

The campaign?

Which one would that be? Video senders, Persistence Pays,..........:devil:

Therefore, I see the knowledge and work requirement of the SKY Installer, as that of a junior Technician.
The theoretical knowledge associated with a real Engineer, such as in Mathematics, Laplace Transforms and Fouriers analysis, etc, which are necessary in all forms of Engineering, will be absent, but not actually required by a Sky Installer - or even for almost all Electricians.

Terry Toye

Don't tarnish (the once) Junior Technicians i.e. those in the RAF with Sky 'engineers'. A world apart, one being BTEC HND trained in aeronautical engineering....a sound foundation to build upon. The last 15 years or so 'JT's' are probably somewhat different, from perhaps what you knew 30 years ago! You probably mean a 'mechanic'..lol

Last edited:
I believe "Junior Technician" was a generic term, not related to any particular profession.

PS We are all in violent agreement.

Indeed, what annoys me is that a lot of so called 'engineers' (including some in the building trade...lol) wouldn't be allowed near an aircraft to service and maintain it. No room for shabby workmen on a multi million pound aircraft!

Indeed, what annoys me is that a lot of so called 'engineers' (including some in the building trade...lol) wouldn't be allowed near an aircraft to service and maintain it. No room for shabby workmen on a multi million pound aircraft!

You wouldn't want "cracks" in the fuselage, eh? :rotfl::rotfl:

Don't tarnish Junior Technicians i.e. those in the RAF with Sky 'engineers'. A world apart, one being BTEC HND trained in aeronautical engineering....a sound foundation to build upon lol

I agree: I was a Comms Technician in the Royal Signals and then went to College to get my Design Engineering skills.
However the standard of Technical education, (for Technicians), in the R. Signals in the 60's and 70's was extremely good. From what I heard from other Techs in my various postings, RAF trained Comms Techs had a similarly high standard.

I was trying to be kind as there will be a small proportion of SKY Installers who have a substantially higher level of expertise than is required in the job.
I apologise to all you guys - but for the others - hmm - I don't suppose they read this forum so I'm not that worried.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom