1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I hang my plasma on my wall ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mehullakhani, Jul 19, 2005.

1. mehullakhani

mehullakhani
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys

Am looking to buy a new plasma for the flat . I dont know much about walls; but before buying the flat I had it surveyed and it says

"The internal walls and partitions are of timber studwork finished in plasterboard"

Are these walls suitable for wall-mounting a plasma ? Are they strong enough ?

Regards

Mehul

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,567
    you will have to use the timber studs to mount it on.
    You can get fixings for plasterboard but I wouldn't risk it.

3. Clave

Clave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's do-able IF you can get good fixings directly into the studs (timber) but I'd not like to risk much bigger than a 42" that way...

4. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same wall and found it easier to fix the bracket up as normal and leave out a few screws and the screws that have been left off cut out clean holes in the plaster at the inside of the bracket just big enough to get a small hand in. Then where you have left out the screws put bolts through instead and as you now have holes you can put large washes and nuts on the bolts or even a wooden block. Something that wouldnt come through the plaster.

You can fill the holes in but as you are putting up a plasma the holes will be hidden.

5. macrosse

macrosse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mehul,

If you cant find the timber studs behind the plaster or dont want to make huge holes everywhere you might want to try load displacement. I had to mount my plasma on a plasterboard wall over a firepalce, wall was 1 m wide by 1.6 m tall and I was worried that the plaster would come away from the wall. Only solution I could come up with was buying a big wood board 1 cm thick and same size as the wall and attaching that to cover the whole wall first. I then mounted the plasma bracket and then plasma onto that. In theory the load of the plasma is shared by the whole 100x160 cm board and so there's little risk of it moving. At least its been there 6 weeks and its ok so far.
    Good luck.